Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX steering wheel controls on a VT. HELP!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi Guys, I have been searching the forums but I cannot find a definitive answer.

My Son has a Series 2 VT Berlina. He is trying to fit VX steering wheel controls to it.

He has a Steering wheel with the controls, the matching clock spring and a bunch of aftermarket plug in adaptors to make it all work with his aftermarket headunit.

But, even with everything hooked up nothing is working.

Is there extra wiring between the clock spring and the headunit wiring that needs to be run? If so, does anyone have pinouts of the plugs showing where it all needs to go?

Thanks heaps.
I think l used this "how to" thread on hooking up the h/u swc? It tells you where you have insert wires for the h/u when your car didn't originally have them. Hope it helps.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
This might help, you will see it behind the clock spring up top, 1 is positive 2 is gnd. I must have added both, giggle, been awhile since doing it.
1705201428474.png

Reactions: Lex

jaybee78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS
Is the aftermarket head unit steering wheel control compatible?

I've seen members post trying to workout why they couldn't hook up the steering wheel controls (swc). Turned out that the h/u wasn't set up for the steering wheel controls.

I have a vt. It didn't come with the swc. Went out & bought a calais swc & a h/u. Couldn't get it to work.
So went down to the wreckers looking for a plug for the calais h/u.
Told the guy at the wreckers what l wanted, & he said mate we don't keep those plugs. It's impossible to do what you want.
Well l did get it working, l just had to work out which plug on the back of the h/u to plug into.

Since then, l've hooked uo a couple of different h/u to the swc.

It's not hard. Good luck with it. :) :cool:
Thanks! I appreciate the info.

Yes, his headunit has a remote control input and he has the adaptor that goes from the headunit to the remote control interface, and then the adaptor from the interface to the VT wiring harness. It looks like we just need the wires from the clock spring to the radio plug.

It will be handy to get working as his headunit is a touch screen thing and the volume buttons are on the lower left corner of the screen, which is not exactly safe to be reaching for while driving!

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Is the aftermarket head unit steering wheel control compatible?

I've seen members post trying to workout why they couldn't hook up the steering wheel controls (swc). Turned out that the h/u wasn't set up for the steering wheel controls.

I have a vt. It didn't come with the swc. Went out & bought a calais swc & a h/u. Couldn't get it to work.
So went down to the wreckers looking for a plug for the calais h/u.
Told the guy at the wreckers what l wanted, & he said mate we don't keep those plugs. It's impossible to do what you want.
Well l did get it working, l just had to work out which plug on the back of the h/u to plug into.

Since then, l've hooked uo a couple of different h/u to the swc.

It's not hard. Good luck with it. :) :cool:
Not trying to hijack this post, but out of curiosity, is there a way to make the swcs work with an aftermarket hu without the expensive adapter?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Not trying to hijack this post, but out of curiosity, is there a way to make the swcs work with an aftermarket hu without the expensive adapter?
depends on the headunit requirements

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
the volume buttons are on the lower left corner of the screen, which is not exactly safe to be reaching for while driving!
I don't want to encourage irresponsibility if for some reason your son doesn't feel comfortable controling the volume that way, but muscle memory will eventually take over and allow him to operate frequently used controls like volume without having to look. I totally understand, though. It bothers me that the controls are right there under my fingers but I can't use them because I decided to upgrade my stereo.
Fun fact: if you know the code for the old stereo, you can get a pretty decent price for it on ebay... enough to pay a knowledgeable auto elec to solve the problem for you.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
depends on the headunit requirements
iirc, I have wires for swcs, but they just don't cooperate with mine. I think that's the standard problem.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
When l converted to climate control, l had to rewire using the correct looms.
When l came to hooking the head unit up, l found the h/u plug had been cut of. So, just hard wired the new 10" h/u into the loom.

It may have helped that the adaptors where $100.00 plus. So, l saved some cash there.
Its still going okay nearly 7 years later.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
When l converted to climate control, l had to rewire using the correct looms.
When l came to hooking the head unit up, l found the h/u plug had been cut of. So, just hard wired the new 10" h/u into the loom.

It may have helped that the adaptors where $100.00 plus. So, l saved some cash there.
Its still going okay nearly 7 years later.
So, you made your swcs work by just hard wiring them to the stereo... is that what you're saying?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
iirc, I have wires for swcs, but they just don't cooperate with mine. I think that's the standard problem.
My vt exec. didn't have swc on my car when l got it.
I bought the swc & correct clockspring. Still had to add the wires to the plug that the clockspring plugs into that then goes to the h/u.