Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse Camera Guide Lines

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by easyrider475, Jul 5, 2014.

1. easyrider475

easyrider475 New Member

Members Ride:
    VR ute & VF SSV ute
    Hi all,
    Does anybody have any info on the VF's reverse camera guidelines, or lack of guidelines?
    My misses car has them, and the lines turn in response to the direction of the car which I have found really helpful, reversing is a breeze and elimates any rim gutter rash on kerbs as the guidelines are very accurate.
    Not sure if its just a setting in mylink, a software update or a deficiency of the actual reverse camera.
    I have checked out the chevy forums too and their lack of guidelines on their mylink systems have also come up with no definitive answers, was hoping someone on here maybe able to shed a bit more light on this. For all the awesome gear on this car, this is my only gripe, so not bad I guess.

2. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    I know (from being at a company who sells reversing cameras) that the guide line overlay is usually placed on the video by the camera itself.

The only way to get it, would be to replace the camera.

3. bretto86

bretto86 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Ute
    ndwalters, owning a VF & working with reverse cameras, you may know, would it be possible to replace the standard camera with another item?

The high-def screen makes the pic look very fuzzy & the camera also seems to give a wide-angle view which is good for spotting objects I suppose but not fantastic for judging depths, etc like other camera setups I've seen.

& if it means guidelines could potentially be added that would be even better...

4. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    I dont see any reason you couldnt replace it with an off the shelf camera. Theyre all the same, they use 12vDC and composite video. You just need to find one that fits the mount...

5. Jingle Bells

Jingle Bells Guest

I have found the reversing camera to be a little bit fuzzy...not true technicolour......but the wide angle is great.....I thought at first it may have a protective layer of clear plastic over the camera that you had to peel off.....but this was not the case...as other optical devise's on the market.

Does any one know of a wide angle camera like that installed on the VF....so that I can install it on my VE ute...maybe the ndwalters post above may be able to help me with a product.

6. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    The technology in reversing cameras is a little behind that of CCTV cameras, so the colour reproduction and horizontal resolution is not nearly as good. Most cameras will be a wide angle though.

Have a look here

7. Flukey

Flukey New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    Most wide angle CCTV cameras have similar performance issues past the designated focal point which is typically 1 metre or so.
    Good ones can do better but the price increases accordingly.

I would also prefer a upgraded camera with the guidelines and will have a look at what is available.

8. bretto86

bretto86 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Ute
    Flukey if you come across anything please let us know

9. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    I can get my hands on any that I listed above. Will take a look later today.

10. Jingle Bells

Jingle Bells Guest

That would be great....as I wish to install one on my VE Ute.

11. Black X

Black X New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Redline Ute
    You need to wipe the exhaust dust of the camera regularly so it's not blurry. I have to do it about once a week.

12. Jingle Bells

Jingle Bells Guest

Still waiting ndwalters !

13. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    No need to be so impatient, it isnt easy to rip the rear bar off and change a camera.... I'll let you know as soon as I get it hooked on.

14. Jingle Bells

Jingle Bells Guest

I do not expect you to rip the bar off etc.....it is not for the VF it is for the VE Ute...only want to know if you have a reversing kit that will give 170 degree viewing from the rear like the VF from the place you work at....the only one's I have come across are the 40's and 80's viewing angle that Repco have and as usual the staff do not know anything and do not care...DO NOT RIPP THE BAR OFF...it is only a courtesy query....from what you have at your work place.

15. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
  16. Jingle Bells

Jingle Bells Guest

17. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    If you want one, just PM me and I'll help you out.

18. davidw_au

davidw_au New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V MY14
    I've just read in the latest Wheels magazine that the MY2015 VF will have reversing camera guidelines. Does anyone know if this will be made available to earlier model VFs through a software or firmware update? I know earlier in this thread ndwalters said it was part of the camera itself, I read in other systems it's a software feature (lots of Mercedes Benz owners were surprised their upmarket models didn't have guidelines, reason was they weren't activated by Mercedes Australia).

19. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    Yes, reversing camera guidelines are usually an overlay built in to the cameras themselves, but as you pointed out it is possible that head unit do this via software upgrade.

I would imagine that the MY15 will have a different channel of firmware so its unlikely it would make it was on to ours.

20. ozzymac

ozzymac New Member

Members Ride:
    VF CalaisV
    I was surprised my VF didnt have the guidelines too, especially as you see it on adds on Tv.

cheers