Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reversing camera and VIM fitted - How to

SSV_09_Pano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (Series I) SSV Utility
Hi geo41e (or any one else who can assist me).

Did you get your bluetooth and auto switch working?

I have recently had a VIM, reverse camera and media hub installed in my SSV (series I, which also has factory sat nav). The media hub and reverse camera both worked amazingly, but my Bluetooth would only pair. No "Voice in (with associated beeps)" would appear on my unit, nor could I hear calls. I could still control calls with the Phone button on my steering wheel. The media centre includng movies on a USB and the reverse camera both worked travelling over 3Km an hour (limited test only).

I took my vehicle to the local Holden dealership who found the "accessory patch harness connector" was missing under the glove box (looped cables, white and orange with a black stripe attached to a white connector behind the glove box). This was replaced by the dealership, who also stated that no other cables were removed from this connector. The dealer also stated the VIM module was no longer connected or located under the glovebox.

Now my bluetooth works perfectly, the reverse camera works fantastically, but my media hub is not working. I only get a Black screen when I select the AUX button on my unit.

I didn't install my reverse camera or media hub, so was hoping someone like yourself who self-installed maybe able to assist me (the installer is not contactable for the next 6 days).
Should the "accessory patch harness connector" still be connected once the VIM and auto switch is installed or how did you fix this issue?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Fitting plugs and bluetooth etc

When you first open it all up you have the 16 pin connector behind the glovebox with the plug fitted and just a couple of loop wires installed unless you have other optional accessories as well.
As far as I am aware the loop wires in the large connector behind the glove box are for the bluetooth so if you just swap plugs and don't keep them bluetooth won't work.
If you got the whole kit with all plugs you may find the new plug does not have the loop wires so you not only need to connect the wires for the VIM etc but you also need to transfer over any existing connections such as the loop wires etc. The same applies for the other plugs, if there are existing connections make sure they are kept when you install the extra plugs/wiring. In most cases its just a case of pulling the pin out of one plug and putting it back into the new plug in the same spot with the new connections. Its all pretty easy to do as the instructions are reasonably clear.

Attached are some pinouts for the HU connectors and also for the dealer option plug behind the glovebox.
Also attached is a scan of the 16 pin plug and wiring supplied with the VIM unit.

16pin.jpg

Links to Pinout PDF files:

16 pin dealer options pinout

Head Unit Video Pinout

Head Unit Audio and Overall Pinout

grafton

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE II SV6 NITRATE SPORTWAGON
Hey guys, I would assume that there is a speed sensing input to the IQ somewhere to stop dvds etc playing on the front screen after 3kph. Similar to the old VN-VP commodores had from the speedo to the ecu to lock up the torque converter. If I am right why can't the speed input be disconnected?

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
Hey guys, I would assume that there is a speed sensing input to the IQ somewhere to stop dvds etc playing on the front screen after 3kph. Similar to the old VN-VP commodores had from the speedo to the ecu to lock up the torque converter. If I am right why can't the speed input be disconnected?

The speed input the IQ recieves is on the LS Can wire.. if you disconnect this then the A/C controls wont work and depending on what stage the radio is in at the current time it will either display VIN not present or go to Security Lockout mode...

therefore it needs to be deactivated in the software

grafton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahhhaaa...three letter words that make things hard. CAN & LAN.. Does CAN stand for Can't Alter Nothing? lol
Then LAN must mean: Leave Alone Numbnuts!!

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
CAN - Can't Adjust Nothing !!! :rofl2:

grafton

Reaction score
Members Ride
My car goes in for warranty (drivers door switch & seat stitching) repairs next wednesday & I'm getting them to change the screen to blue & also enable the RSE. They seem like ok bunch of guys so i'll rat their brains & see if they give me any bonus info on the IQ. Probably only be what most of you would already know, but you never know! I tell you one thing.. the IQ in my car is way smarter than the one in my head. Cheers

Feb 1-2013. Got my IQ changed to blue & RSE enabled. Got no other info from the guys at holden!! (day say me not no)
Next question...where do the reverse sensors plug into the IQ? Any one got a pinout for the reverse sensors? Cheers

Last edited:

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
For the series two, Is there another way around the JHP VIM/switching modeul? Is it something that the holden dealer might do with tech2?

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
tech 2 cant do it

needs to be programmed with special software