Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rim Sizes

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
I'm after tyres at the moment too. If you're getting your wheels from wheelsdirect (on ebay) look for a package with the Nankang tyres. Should be about $300 - $400 on top of rims, and you'll be saving nearly $400 just there. I'm looking at getting the Nankangs now and I'm shattered I didn't just get the package deal.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Just bought em.. $800 for just the rims.. The ones I was talkin about above, in 18's.. Pretty decent I reckon..

Now I gotta buy myself some tyres.. Anyone have advice here? Cuz tyre places f*ck you.. They count on you knowing nothing and just ram it up there..

Shivaga

Reaction score
Website
www.bhss.com.au
Members Ride
'05 VZ Lumina 3.6V6
basically, if you've got a mate down in melbourne who is a mechanic/engineer, ask them to give you a recomended place where you could probably get mates rates. also, see what size the tyres need to be ie...mine are 185/75/R14 good ole stocko. if you can find out what size you will need, you can then just walk into the place, say "G'day mate, i need 4 XXX/XX/R18 tyres." i have found it easyer that when i walk into a place, and sound like i know what i want with the least fuss, i get a decent price, they get future business.

btw... dont sound like a know-all! You need to be in-between a know-all and a dumb-ass.
And my last set of tyres were olimpic, cheapish and lasted me almost 18months! inc.burnouts and drifts.

Shivaga

Reaction score
Website
www.bhss.com.au
Members Ride
'05 VZ Lumina 3.6V6
shounak said:
I've tried a few times to do a standstill but can't.. I've never done them before, but I seem to fail hard when I try it.. My car doesn't have traction control.

I put the car into drive, hit the brake 90% of the way with my left foot and gradually push down on the accelerator.. When I push my accelerator down pretty much the whole way, nothing happens. I can hear the revs and can feel my car trying to go forward but no smoke or screeching noise..

Can anyone give me advice on how I can do one properly? Or what I'm doing wrong..

Cheers..

Extracted from: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=19060&page=1&pp=10

And you said you dont do burnouts??????? liar liar pants on fire! :flame:

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
shivaga said:
basically, if you've got a mate down in melbourne who is a mechanic/engineer, ask them to give you a recomended place where you could probably get mates rates. also, see what size the tyres need to be ie...mine are 185/75/R14 good ole stocko. if you can find out what size you will need, you can then just walk into the place, say "G'day mate, i need 4 XXX/XX/R18 tyres." i have found it easyer that when i walk into a place, and sound like i know what i want with the least fuss, i get a decent price, they get future business.

btw... dont sound like a know-all! You need to be in-between a know-all and a dumb-ass.
And my last set of tyres were olimpic, cheapish and lasted me almost 18months! inc.burnouts and drifts.
Fair enough.. BTW, saying I need all that from a tyre sounds good, but I don't know what to say..

My wheels are 18 * 8.. What does all that **** you said mean? It's all gibberish to me..

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
shivaga said:
And you said you dont do burnouts??????? liar liar pants on fire! :flame:
Hahahah nahh im still truthful.. I never do burnouts.. Never have in my life.. Honest to god..

I could go out trying to get pussy every night.. Even though I've tried hard to get some, if I never have.. I'm still a virgin at the end of the day (and a loser too)..

Shivaga

Reaction score
Website
www.bhss.com.au
Members Ride
'05 VZ Lumina 3.6V6
uh ****, i was afraid youd ask that... i just did a search to help you out:
jNINE said:
depends on your size....

eg, 235/45ZR17

235 is the width at the widest point in mm
45 is the aspect ratio - eg. the sidewall height is 45% of the with
'Z' is the speed rating - eg 240+ km/hr
'R' means Radial
17 is the rim size in inches

You also need to ensure you get the correct load rating for your car.

and you are correct.. Falken are pretty average - there is only one or two models that are ok, but the majority are terrible.

and the Nankangs are not a bad choice for a budget tyre.

We run a tyre shop in Nth Brisbane if you are in that area and need advice
and thats form: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=19944&highlight=Tyre+Size

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate.. I'll ask a few places around and get some quotes on tyres first..

Much appreciated shivaga..

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais International - RIP VR Turbo
Damn you! had the same auction bookmarked on ebay. Went to buy them and some bastard had already bought em! Well luckily the same seller just made another auction for the same rims:).
Let me know how long the shipping takes and post pics of them on your car:)