Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough gear changes

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Not being able to compare the car to others with a similar motor, I wanted to ask drivers of the Alloytec 190 V6 if you too (in power mode) experience on the occassion some pretty rough gear changes? By that i mean you feel the whole car jolt when it changes gears.

Although the car is still 15000kms away from a major service I was also wondering whether it was worth getting spark plugs and transmission oil change done at a genuine holden and just pay what they want. The car seems to be using a lot of fuel too. I fear getting an apprentice at my usual mechanic place (kmart) and them messing up something especially with the transmission which would cost me big in the future.

Any thoughts?
thanks!

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I fear getting an apprentice at my usual mechanic place (kmart) and them messing up something especially with the transmission which would cost me big in the future.
!

That's the risk you take, taking it anywhere. Not all Apprentice are bad when they first start out, some do have a lot of experience working on cars. If they stuff it up, they have to pay for it. Simple! I would probably take it to your usual Mechanic, they probably wont charge you an arm and a leg after it.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Or do it yourself. Neither of those jobs are particuarly difficult with a socket set and a bit of time

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Not being able to compare the car to others with a similar motor, I wanted to ask drivers of the Alloytec 190 V6 if you too (in power mode) experience on the occassion some pretty rough gear changes? By that i mean you feel the whole car jolt when it changes gears.

the power button firms up the shift

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I'd do it all myself if I was me...lol.
Anywhere you go, you're risking the apprentice doing the work.
As for 'rough' changes with power on, my VY does it slightly jerkier than with power switch off. If you're talking really jerky/rough, though then get it seen to. It shouldn't be TOO much rougher than in normal mode.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Autos almost always change like new again after you do the fluid. Very recommended

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thanks guys for your responses.

As mentioned, there is some risk on my part. I will most likely take it to my usual mechanic (Kmart Auto) and ask them to ensure all genuine oils\parts etc. Unfort I cant do this sorta stuff myself as Im not in this field of work.

The car is almost always smooth when power mode is off. When power mode is enabled, the gears change smooth when gearing up, but when the gears go down I really feel the gears changing and slowing the vehicle up especially at the lower speeds. A VE i drive with Alloytec 190 is much smoother. Just wasnt sure why I was getting such hard gear shifts.

When you say change the transmission fluid is that the same as changing the transmission oil?

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Fluid/oil same thing. Sorry for any confusion.

There's also a filter that's worth replacing.

There's a how to for changing it.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Fluid/oil same thing. Sorry for any confusion.

There's also a filter that's worth replacing.

There's a how to for changing it.

Thanks for the clarrification :)
When the time comes, I will definetly get them to change the filter. I really dont feel competant servicing my car, but I do have a good relationship with my mechanic as I give him a lot of business.
Thanks for your help :)
The PWR holds it in gear longer, doesnt change any shift pressures..
Yeah, thats interesting to hear. Really not sure why its only happening in power mode. I might just get the transmission oil changed and filters along with its next service (hoping its a job thats easy for my mechanic).