Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running In Subs?

W

WILD_VT

I read in a past thread about having to run in your subs but it didnt give a final yes or no answer. So the question is do you have to run in subs when first hooked up? I never have before but the stereo im still buying and installing will be the biggest stereo i have had so i want to do things properly so any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Also does anyone know where you can get really good quality sub boxes? all the ones i have seen where i am (wollongong) are **** ohh im looking for boxes for 2 15" subs and am willing to have them frieghted from anywhere.

Thanks all once again

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
People say you should run them for a few hours at moderate levels to run them in. But I just make sure I don't crank them up in the first hour or so of use. The "running in" is just to loosen up any stiffness in the motor structure so nothing tears or breaks from cranking it to it's limits while it's still stiff.

The best sub boxes are custom made sub boxes... Make them yourself, it will be cheaper than a pro custom box and you can make it how you want it.

W

WILD_VT

I Made my last 3 sub boxes (they boxes where more solid that the cars exept for my mini monstor truck which was a duel cab hilux with a custom box where the back seets where with 2 12's lol) but when i get the stuff in my car i will take things easy for a while and your right bout the building your own is better i looked at one on the weekend and the sales man was saying how good it was and my mate tapped it with his foot and the side fell out.......

Thanks for your advice.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Not pumping it hard for the first day is certainly one way of doing it...although I'm a fan of the moderate level for half an hour at lower frerquencies.

W

WILD_VT

Is that better do you think? and only half hour is that all it would take you think?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
either my way or StoneXs' way is perfectly fine....it certainly doesn't take long..

You don't just jump straight into hardcore training....you do a warm-up excercise first right? Same with subs...except you only have to do it once....

W

WILD_VT

No problems thanks for the advice....

I think i might call for your advice in a month or so again regarding installing (a month or so till i get the rest of my gear) or even now.

i will be running 2 gauge power cable (i will be running 3 amps) and i heard you just used a splitter to aplit 3 wires off the one power cable would this be the correct procedure? also i have looked a few places for a splitter that would be big enought to split off a 2gauge wire into 3x 4 gauge but have had no luck... also one other question i will be running a capacitor i dont think you can but you cant split off the cap can you????

and any recomendation on what brand of capacitor?

Cheers

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
hey WILD_VT if u lookin for a box for two 15's try frankies out at albion park.... they'll have em and most likely at a good price too

W

WILD_VT

Thanks thats about the only place i havent tried actually, but what sort of quality are they?

Only problem is i dont like there dishonest customer service though i had a chick friend go there to replace her whole system for an explod one and she thought they kept the old equipment and didnt get it back but she baught a whole new system and they kept the old one which consisted of 2x 12 clarion subs in the box, clarion head unit, 4 speakers and amp.

i know shes dumb for thinking that but they could of been honest enough to give it to her lol.....

but i will check it out thanks.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The power splitter is called a distribution block. All car audio stores have them. You don't need one with fuses if your amps all that fuses in them.

Why are you getting a capacitor?