Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust hole in boot (spare wheel well)

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Cut out the spare wheel well, Get some road side assist care, Whack a rear mount turbo in

Problem solved ^_^

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I had this problem in my VN, the wheel area was full of water for at least 10 years! never rusted tho. So it must take along time to rust, unless your car didn't have so much paint on it from the factory. Still it will be easy to weld a new section in. I bet holden still sell that peice?!!

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Just done a search and found this thread.. Mine is getting worse so been thinking of going to the wreckers and cutting it out and grinding the old bits of rust out, kill rust it and pop rivit the new bit in.. Seal it up and paint it.. Should be a easy fix

fireblade73

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve hsv e3 clubsport
i just had a look at mine and the bottom is all rusted out as my spare wheel has never been used . i want it to be imaculate so might go wreckers and find a good one and cut it out . take it to the panal beaters and get them to weld it in . does anyone know if you can buy that piece new or do i haveto find a clean one at wreckers ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The spare wheel well would be part of a larger panel, so probably not worth getting new. TBH, any panel beater worth their weight should be able to fill it in from scratch provided it's not gapingly huge.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You could try new but considering pretty much everything has been discontinued for the VR and VS i don't like your chances. A panel beater will sort it for you no problems. You want to find an old school PB, one that still does rust work and not just insurance jobs. Reckon it would be pot luck finding a clean one at the wreckers as it's all too common for them to rust out.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Coke can, sikaflex, underbody paint and black spraypaint.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ive repaired an old HG wheel well and sides of boot with bog and metal fly wire. Worked really well once all sanded and painted. But it was a $500 car.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Mine has holes and rust too, but in my case I think it's wear and tear from underneath after 480,000km of road rubbish being flung off the wheel. I see the wheel well was manufactured with a protective material over it (under the car) but that's been mostly blasted away. Never had much of a leak inside.