Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rusty air con pipes

Vuman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 2001 Commo ute
Hi I purchased a vu ute recently and ever since i have had air con trouble first it was the air flow so i removed the fan from behind the glove box and blasted the little radiator thingy with water and cleaned al the leaves and dirt out my other prob is the coldness the water drips fine under the car the air is sorta cool but on a hot day it takes at-least an hour before its even reasonably comfortable to sit in I had a bloke check it with his gauges its full of gas no leaks my only concern is the 2 pipes that run into the dryer in the front end are really rusty like chunks of rust peeling off is there any other solution that somebody has had the same trouble with that could help

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 148

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Those pipes are not air con pipes they are power steering pipes, or in fact 1 pipe it runs infront of the condenser to cool the power steering fluid and has a bend to go back to the power steering reservoir. the air con pipes are aluminum and will not rust they run on the passenger side of the engine and condenser.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
It is commonly known the VT/VX/VU air con set up even when new is crap and was revised on VY+
There are things you can have done, 1 is replace your drier receiver, unbeknown to most is they are a consumable/serviceable part and should be changed every 3years , they are basically a can with a in and out hole on the head with a straw on one side connecting to the bottom, and they have desiccant balls on the bottom 25% of the bottle with a mesh plate/screen to keep them down there. they just suck moistener out of the charge. they cost $20. it will cost about $100 to change this.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
here is a VT/VX condenser see how no lines run in front.

HOLDEN-COMMODORE-AC-CONDENSER-VT-VX-STATESMAN-CAPRICE-97-02-281419629110-924x784.jpg

Vuman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 2001 Commo ute
ty st3r3otyp3 Ill fix it today and get back to ya

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
VT on have a variable piston compressor in them, just because they read full of gas does not mean the system maybe functioning correctly.
Get a second opinion from someone else.