Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ryan's VB Daily/Project

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
308's will handle higher revs as well as any other OHV V8, however agreed your diff ratio needs to work with your selected cam
for example, a stock cam with 3.7 gears will probably end up being slower down the 1/4 than stock 3.08 diff gears, because the engine is going to be constantly sitting outside it's best power range. In particular if you don't have an overdrive gear.

Personally, I'd be going for 3.45 gears if you want some more spring in the step. It will launch off the line better, yet won't be revving it's arse off going nowhere.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
I've got some pedders sway bars in the shed. :)

front and rears?? sizes? dont pedders just sell whiteline ones anyway? and what are you after for them?

might wanna figure out what cam is in your beast b4 you go putting a ratio like that in. 3.7 is pretty tall and 308's generally dont rev that well.

308's will handle higher revs as well as any other OHV V8, however agreed your diff ratio needs to work with your selected cam
for example, a stock cam with 3.7 gears will probably end up being slower down the 1/4 than stock 3.08 diff gears, because the engine is going to be constantly sitting outside it's best power range. In particular if you don't have an overdrive gear.

Personally, I'd be going for 3.45 gears if you want some more spring in the step. It will launch off the line better, yet won't be revving it's arse off going nowhere.

when i get the car dyno tuned next month ill see if my tuner can find out what cam gears i have and work out the best gear ratios for my car. im thinking that whatever gear ratios i choose im probably best of ditching the salisbury diff for a vl turbo one and change the tailshaft for a vl one as well. ive looked a few times on ebay and the like and it seems to be quite hard finding gear ratios for the old salisbury diffs

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
mate, figuring out what cam is in it is near impossible without taking the cam out. minimum i can think of is taking the manifold off and measuring lobe lift of a lifter, but itll cost you a tonne to get it done and still wont tell you duration etc.

im with darren, 3.45's will be good for a mild cam, and only a little too small for a big cam (286 needs 3.55).

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
so my best bet is just to get a 3.45 then, itll still be better than a 3.08 ratio at the least.

small update, just replaced my dodgy tail light and had to resolder the wiring as it was rooted so thats all working now. also about to fit up my vk mirrors

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
time for an update, ive been having issues with my throttle body sticking on and not releasing so the carby is getting a thorough looking at and a tune up on thursday so hopefully itll run a lot better come thursday night. my heads and intake from soop have also arrived and are looking good so those shall be going onto the motor in the next week or so as well

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Cool, good to hear you got them.

Fix that sticking throttle before the tune up. Give the linkages on the carb a squirt with carby cleaner. If that doesn't work look to see if the cable is dragging somwhere. Failing that pull the carb off and clean the base plate.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
well i got the vb back from the tuner. the throttle sticking didnt occur at all and we went out of our way to delibrately stick it but nothing caused it to stick. my vacuum advance to the dizzy wasnt hooked up, the vacuum for the secondaries wasnt hooked up, the breather for the rockers was plugged shut. there was a ton of connections that werent plugged either. neville (my tuner) sorted all of that out for me, replaced the fuel line and filter and then chucked it on the dyno. it pulled 155rwkw with the timing set at 6 degrees, which isnt too shaby for a 308 with a baby cam and roller rockers (he had a look at these and knew they were aftermarket) and the throttle didnt stick either. we tried 8 and 10 degrees but that actually made the power worse strangely enough. neville also reckons i have an aftermarket heat insulator for the carby as well which is good. the idle is a tad lumpy but i think it may be an oiling issue as the oil pressure was very low at idle.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
werent the brock ones 180fwkw or was it rwkw?