Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] new P plater laws coming in about driving a V8??

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
Power to weight is the most efficient way (without it getting overly complicated) of measuring a cars acceleration or 'pace' for lack of a better word.

So you would rather see cubic capacity come in and stop people driving any sort of commodore or falcon in Australia? Restrict a considerable amount of the population from buying any current Australian made vehicle?

Come on let's not get things out of proportion. Both 'Australian' car makes Holden and Ford make more than just V8s and engines over 3000cc. In fact these are the minority in their range. Take a look at the roads and you will see more Japanese and other imported cars than our so-called home-grown cars and most of them are under 3000cc and straight fours.
"Considerable amount of the population" - I think not. We're talking about P platers.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Come on let's not get things out of proportion. Both 'Australian' car makes Holden and Ford make more than just V8s and engines over 3000cc. In fact these are the minority in their range. Take a look at the roads and you will see more Japanese and other imported cars than our so-called home-grown cars and most of them are under 3000cc and straight fours.
"Considerable amount of the population" - I think not. We're talking about P platers.

Ermm ok so name 1 car made by Holden or 1 car made by Ford Aus at this present time that is fitted with an engine under 3000cc? Not sure where you're living but in this country Holden only make the Commodore and Ford only make the Falcon and Territory :p

Considerable does not mean majority, P platers are a significant chunk of the driving population.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
A 5L VS is still faster than a V6 VE though

I think the new SV6 might actually be faster than the old 5L. The SV6 has a 195kw 3.6L engine don’t forget.

It also weighs over 1.7 tonne, and produces 45nm of torque less than the old 5L and it doesn't even make that much power until you hit redline :wax: Nevertheless I was referring to the standard V6 rather than the high output V6 but I guess both are relevant.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think the new SV6 might actually be faster than the old 5L. The SV6 has a 195kw 3.6L engine don’t forget.

The VN 5 litre went 15.1 on the 1/4 mile in wheels magazine with driver + passenger full load of fuel etc. At the drags any VN-P 5 litre in decent running condition can cut a high 14. Try that in a VE V6 sometime. Like VN2NV said more torque, lots less weight you don't have both those in your favour and loose in acceleration

Last edited:

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
Ermm ok so name 1 car made by Holden or 1 car made by Ford Aus at this present time that is fitted with an engine under 3000cc? Not sure where you're living but in this country Holden only make the Commodore and Ford only make the Falcon and Territory :p

Considerable does not mean majority, P platers are a significant chunk of the driving population.

Holden Astra and Ford Focus. I don't see what point you're trying to make. You think that locally made cars with large engines will be excluded from the P platers' wish list therefore damaging our economy. You also think that P platers can afford to buy large engine cars and afford to run them. You also think that P platers care whether they buy Australian or not.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Astra and Ford Focus. I don't see what point you're trying to make. You think that locally made cars with large engines will be excluded from the P platers' wish list therefore damaging our economy. You also think that P platers can afford to buy large engine cars and afford to run them. You also think that P platers care whether they buy Australian or not.

lol I didn't realise Germany was part of Australia. They're both made in Germany, the Astra by Opel and the Focus by Ford Europe. Not Holden and Ford Australia.

P platers don't care whether they buy Australia or not, but plenty do buy Holden and Fords and obviously they can afford to buy and run them. Its not just the new car market, removing them from the second hand market also has an impact as its simple supply and demand that dictates resale value and low resale value spells doom for new car sales (case in point being the Mitsubishi 380 - not a bad car but nobody was dumb enough to buy one brand new and lose $10,000 overnight).

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Restrict them to 4 banger FWD's

Worst thing you can do in them is put maccas trays under the back wheels, put the hand brake on and drive around on school ovals.

You say that but the SSS pulsar i had before my current SV6 was alot quicker then the SV6. One of my mates has a SSS that runs a 13.9 with just cams and shaved head. Point is ANY car can be a weapon with the right mods.

DARK SIDE

I’ll Fry Your Ricer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV V2 GTS Coupe
With the 5L vs VE, it would make for an interesting drag that’s for sure. I’m not sure about toque comparison so I cant really comment but yes I would imagine a 5L V8 would make more torque than a 3.6L six.

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
I wanna drag a 5l in my vz sv6 lol.

I shouldnt be impacted by these laws IF they come in...