Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Safety Recall] Electric Power Steering — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
So as expected, car pulls to the left, got them to print off a copy of the alignment measurements. Will compare it to how it was done 18 month's ago.

Also pretty sure there's faeces on the door card, might be dirt but didn't pass the smell test, taste test is next!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So as expected, car pulls to the left, got them to print off a copy of the alignment measurements. Will compare it to how it was done 18 month's ago.

Also pretty sure there's faeces on the door card, might be dirt but didn't pass the smell test, taste test is next!

Any chance of a copy of the print out..

What I find hard to comprehend is, they replace the rack which only means resetting the toe, yet people are complaining of a left pull....

Toe doesn't cause a pull, unless they aren't touching the rear...

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
Any chance of a copy of the print out..

What I find hard to comprehend is, they replace the rack which only means resetting the toe, yet people are complaining of a left pull....

Toe doesn't cause a pull, unless they aren't touching the rear...

Yeah for sure, it's odd though as it's not a constant pull to the left. I'll fight it for maybe 5 mins and it'll come good for a few then go back to a severe pull into the gutter.
  1. Image is from my tyre/alignment shop - this was done December 2017 when I had new rear tyres fitted.
    20200409_160056.jpg
  2. Image is from Berwick Holden April 2020
    20200409_155947.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Weird one...To me, those figures don't have any indication of a pull to the left at all.....

Unfortunately I'm not up on these new electric style racks, so whether it has something to do with that, I can't actually say

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yeah for sure, it's odd though as it's not a constant pull to the left. I'll fight it for maybe 5 mins and it'll come good for a few then go back to a severe pull into the gutter.
  1. Image is from my tyre/alignment shop - this was done December 2017 when I had new rear tyres fitted.
    View attachment 210400
  2. Image is from Berwick Holden April 2020
    View attachment 210401

Look up tramlining. The VF will do this especially with worn tyres. Mine does it a lot and also my Calais V V6 did this too. I think the steering has a lot of input from the road and causes the electric steering to assist. Although the Coloroado MY16 onwards has the same type of steering but does not tramline like the VF. Probably because of the higher profile tyre on the Coloroado.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Although the Coloroado MY16 onwards has the same type of steering but does not tramline like the VF. Probably because of the higher profile tyre on the Coloroado.
The Colorado just steers like a drunken turd all the time, it would be tramlining but feels so bad you don’t realise it’s doing it, while you fight to go in a straight line & not wander into an adjacent lane or face-plant a roadside tree.

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
I'm going to make an uneducated guess that going from 0.81° variance in caster to .30° is what's creating the slight pull to the left.

I might also get the toe in / camber addressed as I have some severe feathering on the outside edge of the tyres

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm going to make an uneducated guess that going from 0.81° variance in caster to .30° is what's creating the slight pull to the left.

I might also get the toe in / camber addressed as I have some severe feathering on the outside edge of the tyres

Nope...There should be a variance in the caster, where the left value is greater than the right, to counter act the camber of the road...As you might notice the road slopes to the left, so you increase the caster on the left to push the car up the road..

With the feathering, yes adjust camber and toe....Camber. with a guess, I'd be going around .30 to .45 degrees negative, with 2MM total toe for starters....Should help with the wear you're experiencing....

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
The Colorado just steers like a drunken turd all the time, it would be tramlining but feels so bad you don’t realise it’s doing it, while you fight to go in a straight line & not wander into an adjacent lane or face-plant a roadside tree.
So true the worst handling car I've driven.

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
Nope...There should be a variance in the caster, where the left value is greater than the right, to counter act the camber of the road...As you might notice the road slopes to the left, so you increase the caster on the left to push the car up the road..

With the feathering, yes adjust camber and toe....Camber. with a guess, I'd be going around .30 to .45 degrees negative, with 2MM total toe for starters....Should help with the wear you're experiencing....
But in saying that, if my last alignment was set to .81° variance in caster favouring LHS and is now .30° favouring LHS could that not be reason for the car tracking to the left. My assumption would be that having +1.0° variance in caster would cause the car to track to the right?