Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sam's 304 VN BT1

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Yep. Unwrap that harness that runs past the ignition module, and you'll find all the wires for those two plugs go back up to the big intersection near the firewall so it's dead easy to poke them through and out the side. I disassembled the long plug, but couldn't get the square one to release any pins so I chose to cut and solder those wires to eliminate risk of damaging the plug itself. I put the wiring through the factory hole on the engine side wrapped in tape and convoluted tubing, and drilled a 7/8" hole for a 22mm blind rubber grommet which you can see just under the module in the photo. From then it was just a matter of rebuilding the long plug, soldering those 4 wires and tidying it all up into new tubing.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I decided to improve on the shitty old factory ground from the negative terminal, so it's 2AWG now. Maybe it'll improve some things, maybe I won't notice, but I had the stuff here to make it so I couldn't think of a good reason not to.

SAM_2058.jpg

Installed the alternator again, wondering about looping the battery sense wire straight to its 12V post, undecided as yet.

Got the battery sitting back in its spot after cleaning out the buildup of crap that always hides underneath them.

Have also fit a new set of cheapy Clarion 6.5" coaxials to the front doors so my AD6s are in storage waiting for me to sort out some sort of door pods for the LS1 VN.

The car starts and runs better than ever so I think I must have chanced on whatever was dodgy and fixed it up when I was playing with the battery terminals. Correct fluid level in the battery probably helps too.

Somehow an amazing fuel leak developed from this line, the old hose clamp had reached its lower limit which wasn't enough, and fuel was leaking really badly. The best thing about that particular line is that it leaks down very close to the coil :p which of course is exactly what you want....

SAM_2064.jpg

After redoing the thermostat gasket AGAIN, it still bloody leaks. Sprayed everywhere as soon as I gave it any revs.

SAM_2063.jpg

There was a bit of corrosion on the housing where the hose goes on, so I might just buy a new housing to eliminate warp issues etc, even though it looks to be all flat I'm not convinced. I've done a new thermostat and gasket, another 3 gasket changes and a final one where I sanded back and cleaned both surfaces and applied some loctite gasket maker etc etc, it's still leaking so I think a new housing and a new top hose should finally have all bases covered. If it leaks after that I don't know what I'll do :p

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I decided to pull the throttle body off to make some more room for changing the thermostat housing. I discovered the problem with the gasket consistently leaking was a combination of two separate issues.

1. the housing that was on the motor was a HQ style housing, with no recess to accommodate the VN type thermostat's fat lip. The new correct housing has this recess, and it also has an O-ring, explaining why when I bought a VN thermostat a few months back it came with an O-ring.

2. the bolts securing the housing were too long by about 2mm, so it would not hold the new housing down. I fixed this by using a pair of shorter bolts I had laying around. Lucky :)

So far, the new housing and top hose doesn't leak. $70 fix.

The fuel leak from this morning has not reappeared, so I'm happy with that.

While the throttle body was off I decided to give it a good clean - lucky I did too, because I discovered the PCV system was clogged with ****. I can only assume it was an accumulation of loosened flaky crusty stuff, possibly from when I changed the rocker cover gaskets a while ago, which had made its way down to the PCV system over time and clogged it solid. The barb fitting on the throttle body was completely blocked, so was the PCV valve itself. I spent a little over an hour cleaning everything up and putting it all back together.

Engine is back together now and is running a lot better. Cleaning out the IAC assembly certainly must have helped, along with adjusting the idle screw so that the thing actually closes properly!! It was quite far from closed :p

Now all I need to do is get the guard back on, and swap the front suspension back into the LS1 (I swapped them months ago for troubleshooting purposes to no avail), and it'll be pretty much ready to clean up for sale.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
interesting with the thermo stat housing i think wen i 1st bought mine and was having coolent leak troubles i encountered the same problem, bolts had washes on there probably 2 cater 4 being 2 long like urs and the housing never fit right until i bought a new 1 then had no issues, so mayb mine had the same housing as urs and didnt know it.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Today's progress... not a great deal really :)

Got the interior all back together, just need to figure out how to actually properly mount a head unit so it isn't just wedged in there (this one falls out).

Started working on the engine covers I have here, but that won't continue until I have some coarser sandpaper because multiple old coats of VHT paint warrant a bit harsher then the 180grit I have here.

Moved the car diagonally across the shed to make some space for the suspension work. This also affords space for the front bumper to come off, making re-fitting that LH guard a lot easier. Truth be told, while the bumper is off I will probably decide to pop the RH guard off and tidy some things on that side of the engine bay. We'll see how far I can be bothered going with that (probably not far at all).

Also tidied up a couple of wires around the place, and spent a few minutes re-routing the windscreen washer lines internally through the bonnet structure for neatness. Much happier with them now they are 80% hidden under metalwork.

That's all for now.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Got a little bit done tonight.

Started by pulling the front bumper off. Unfortunately it didn't come off clean, so I need to replace that expensive clip assembly on the passenger side. That's thanks to a dodgy panelbeater fitting the front bar terribly, I assume. Regardless, I'll do my best to fix this up properly when it goes back on.

Pulled the RH guard off and got started on tidying up some wiring. This car won't cop the same level of re-shuffling that the LS1 did, but I think I can make a big difference with not much work now that I've had the practise on the LS1.

SAM_2071.jpg

SAM_2065.jpg

SAM_2066.jpg

A quick random shot of the trans cooler

SAM_2067.jpg

and another one, this time of the windscreen washer ducting I mentioned in the previous post.

SAM_2068.jpg

I'll just keep working, and see where things end up :) there is no plan for where to stop at this point, I'm making it up as I go along.

Make sure you tell me if you're interested in buying it :p then I might have an excuse to stop doing silly things, put everything back together and polish her up for the move to a new home.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
damn man, your going completely overboard with this...
I likely!!
If you weren't in another state, I would consider buying this.
Can see you wanting to keep it as a daily after all this work!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Why do I need a daily? :) The LS1 is perfect for that. I have 3 cars including this one, between the mrs and I we really only need two. She's keeping the R33 GTST, I'm keeping the LS1 VN. This one gets to move on unfortunately. Maybe down the track I'll pick up a WH/WK Statesman/Caprice/Grange, that's what I'd like to aim for next, but I can't see that happening for a while.

JTR007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB, VN, VS, VX & VF
Looking good sav!
Shame your selling, such a nice vn
I'm thinking about hiding wiring in my vn bt1 too :p