Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sam's 304 VN BT1

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Sweet, LS1 VN for a daily!!
I would love to have the time and skill to put an LS1 in my VN...

Sorry, dreaming a little there....

back on track!

Should paint the brakes, they'll stand out for a younger buyer...

And get rid of the sticker on the rear doors!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Unfortunately that sticker isn't going anywhere.. it was applied too soon after paint by the looks of things. :(

Brakes are painted, at the moment just silver for a clean look but might look at doing them another colour. Maybe red will look OK with the stripe kit, but red has a tendency to make small factory brakes look, well, smaller... silver is a brightening colour that tricks your eyes into thinking they are bigger than they really are :p

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Shame about the sticker....
I was going to suggest silver brakes, not really sold on factory V8 ones painted any other colour. I lol'd at your reasoning about the colour choice too!

As for more idea's, how's the conditions of the gutter moulds on this beast? I'm currently redoing all the black on mine, one piece at a time. I'm using VHT bumper and trim paint, it's coming up really good! looks like new! Even on the door molds around the windows!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I found a photo from the last show I stopped in at here in Townsville...

IMG_2944.jpg

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
How's this beast going, still in bits being prettied up?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
How's this beast going, still in bits being prettied up?
Sort of, I decided not to get carried away with the driver's side and front wiring, so I freshly wrapped that harness and both guards are back on. Had to trim the fins of the ignition module a touch for guard clearance but I'm not concerned at all; since that module is in a much cooler place now anyway I can't see it being an issue.

Got to find a new slide-clip assembly (both halves of it) for the passenger side, some jerk panel beater glued the old ones together and whacked a screw through them so I smashed them apart getting the bumper off... once I get around to doing that, it'll be back together and time to tidy up, wash and polish the crap out of it and take some photos for advertising :)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Update: very little progress, other than replacing the engine bay fuel lines that sprouted a bunch of leaks :(

SAM_2521.jpg

Waiting on a clip for the front bumper to get this back on the road, clean it up properly and sell it as quick as I can. I want something newer, bigger, heavier and all round nicer :)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Turns out I could still get that clip new from Holden - for twelve dollars!! Why oh why did I waste my time looking for a used one!? So it's all back together and I've been driving it every day since the LS1 went into the panel shop.

Have been tidying up little things here and there on this car as per usual - I figure eventually its 'niceness' will rise to the satisfaction of a potential buyer, and as soon as that happens it's sold and gone :)

I cleaned down the undercarriage and engine bay the other day after work and was not surprised to be greeted with the car-won't-start mystery box. Turned out it was an easy one - I'd knocked the starter motor signal wire loose so it just needed reseated and everything was fine. Easier to solve than most wet engine bay problems I have come across!

Tonight I popped the front wheels off after work and tightened up the bearings a little bit to address a small rattle/knock that had developed as everything bedded itself in after the brake upgrade. The LS1 bearings did the same thing so it's of no concern to me, just needed to be addressed before driving too far. While I was at it I decided to fit my carefully painted engine covers to brighten up the (now reasonably clean) engine bay. I did admittedly get lazy and paint the bananas and rocker covers without removing them from the car - they really needed dressed up otherwise I think it would have looked ... strange.

SAM_2679.jpg

SAM_2680.jpg

SAM_2681.jpg

And here's a few more happy snaps I fired off around the place while I had the camera out....

SAM_2682.jpg

SAM_2683.jpg

SAM_2684.jpg

SAM_2686.jpg

SAM_2687.jpg

I will actually miss this car a little bit when it goes to a new home.. mainly due to the sheer amount of time I've spent tinkering with it over the short time I've had it. I'm happy to say I have fixed a large number of previous-owner fails on the car so I feel like I've done my bit, so hopefully I'm not that guy - the previous owner that everyone abuses as I just have :p.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
engine bay with those covers look nice n suttle man i like, mayb just gotta do the rocker covers now 2 match? :p