Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sam's VN Lexxxcen LS1 T56

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Looking good.

That hole on the drivers side rear of the block with the red plug in it is the crank angle sensor hole from memory. Have a look in there and see if you can see the reluctor ring.

The hole in the back of the block is the oil pressure switch which those brass fittings screw into to enable you to use both the LS1 and VN oil pressure switches.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Nice work mate, you must be happy to see it sitting in there just for a test fit.
I'm hoping by some miracle that I can dodge pulling it back out and make it all work how it is ;)

But, I have a feeling it'll have to come out to weld the reinforcement onto the K frame where I notched it. Would be a bit tricky from underneath.

The hole in the back of the block is the oil pressure switch which those brass fittings screw into to enable you to use both the LS1 and VN oil pressure switches.

The VN oil pressure switch does not screw in to that 3 way fitting at all, which is what has me confused...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Nice work - comming along nicely :)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Here's the progress from last night:

Realised there was no way the passenger side header was going to fit in while the motor and box were bolted in position.

Both annoyingly and conveniently I realised that the braided line from the clutch master cylinder is actually meant to go all the way direct to the slave cylinder.. I had not connected this. SO it was time to pull the gearbox. Nightmare of a job, but somehow not as bad as I'd expected it to be.. Refitting it was much less awesome.

While I had it out, I took the opportunity to clear some unneeded castings from the gearbox

IMGP2904.jpg

IMGP2905.jpg

Connected the clutch line I had misunderstood previously:

IMGP2909.jpg

and took a random photo of nothing once it was all back in:

IMGP2910.jpg

although you can kinda see the leftovers of the mechanism by which the T56 made its way back up into the tunnel, haha I love backyard engineering.

So, this is how it sits at the moment. (only with a passenger side header also, this photo was taken before the box came out)

IMGP2906.jpg

baby steps :)

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
hey mate what headers are you using? also i see that your using CAE mounts bit average they are...

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
hey mate what headers are you using? also i see that your using CAE mounts bit average they are...

Latest version of CAE tri-Y headers, flick back a couple of pages for pics of when the kit first arrived.

Mounts are a bit iffy but I'll chain down the passenger side and it'll be fine :)

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
ahhk just found it then
I might chain mine down too lol hadnt even thort of it.. i imagine it could make a bit of a mess if they let go lol
My CAE headers sucked.. they hit on the steering rack until i lifted the mounts with spacers and on the body so we had to bend them down and now they hang down waaay to low.. thinking i might have to get the flanges cut off and moved or something

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Yeah I'm hoping with this latest revision of their headers they fit up OK but space is looking BLOODY tight against the passenger side rail, haven't even touched the driver's header yet. I need to work out my driveline angles first.

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
Yea tight is a bit of an understatement lol, youll probly have to tilt the engine a fair bit to get them to fit if your putting them through from the top down.
Also with the shifter you could remove the linkage and weld the old stick onto the bit that comes straight out of the gearbox :p a tad dodgy but it works, only problem is the stick spins around..

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Ordered a shifter today, GMM ripshifter $580 freighted, I should receive it Monday.

Already got the pass header in place, yes I had to undo that mount and tilt the motor over quite a lot to get it in, then refit the T56 around that header. Tricky but possible.