Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

second battery in boot question

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Is it so hard to search?

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/img/isoldiagram.jpg

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
You want to know how to install it? Or you want to know how it operates? Simple the second auxiliary battery is commonly used in most 4wds or vehicles with more electrical accessories (sound system, power inverter, fridge etc) basically the second battery powers all your accessories instead of using your vehicles main battery often used for starting the vehicle. The isolator/switch is then installed in between both, your second battery is charged by the main power of the vehicle whilst driving. Reason people go dual battery is so they can use all their accessories thus draining theirs main battery.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
No point Nic. Just upgrade your existing battery to something like an Optima Yellow Top. Plenty of juice.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Optima isnt the same anymore since they moved production over to Mexico a couple years ago. Get yourself an Odyssey or Stinger.

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
earth both batterys to body.
Run a 2awg wire from positive terminal to positive terminal and fit a 150amp fuse as close to each positive terminal as possible AT EACH END.
Make sure they are identical batteries otherwise over time 1 will kill the other.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
No point Nic. Just upgrade your existing battery to something like an Optima Yellow Top. Plenty of juice.

i think i'm gonna need 2 d34's

and i want to know how the isolator works

and what happens when you just cconnect both of them up without an isolator

thanks

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
You want to know how to install it? Or you want to know how it operates? Simple the second auxiliary battery is commonly used in most 4wds or vehicles with more electrical accessories (sound system, power inverter, fridge etc) basically the second battery powers all your accessories instead of using your vehicles main battery often used for starting the vehicle. The isolator/switch is then installed in between both, your second battery is charged by the main power of the vehicle whilst driving. Reason people go dual battery is so they can use all their accessories thus draining theirs main battery.

oh ok thanks for that, for my case i dont think i will need an isolator? unless i wanna cut off the front battery and just use the rear one when entering a sound comp?