Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized engine??!!! VF SS II

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Or maybe this stuff

View attachment 244800

This stuff is surposed to fix anything
i believe this is what ur looking for

02b-PHIL-Flex-Tape-BOAT3-mobile-994x1024.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Righto, I decided to get under the car myself and this is what I saw! Looks like I’ve found an engine for $15k with 38,000kms on it. Does anyone know how that would work warranty wise? I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve had to replace an engine, I know you’re meant to report to RMS. But I just don’t wanna go through another seized engine

If it's a private sale, no warranty.

If it's through a business, ask what their warranty terms are....They all vary but would probably have the terms of having a qualified mechanic do the swap.

And yes, have to report of engine number change

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Righto, I decided to get under the car myself and this is what I saw! Looks like I’ve found an engine for $15k with 38,000kms on it. Does anyone know how that would work warranty wise? I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve had to replace an engine, I know you’re meant to report to RMS. But I just don’t wanna go through another seized engine

A business selling a used engine will provide a short warranty (with potential conditions) as already mentioned. The seller should be able to clarify what warranty they provide and because it’s a sale by a business ACL protections apply in that the used engine must be durable without defect and fit for purpose.

A mechanic installing an engine must warrant his work for some duration and that business should be able to clarify what warranty they provide. Again because it’s a business which provides a service, ACL protections apply in that the service must be done with due care and skill..

The level of protection ACL provides is always debatable...

On the legal side, changing an engines need to be reported to the registration authority as already mentioned.

(If buying private, not sure how one checks the ownership of a used engine especially if sitting on a palate in someone’s garage? but you’d want to be certain it’s owned by the seller and not stolen hence knowing VIN from where it came is so important because with VIN you can check ownership, leans and possibly service history)

One issue that can occur if you buy the engine and supply it to the mechanic who installs is that if there are problems who is to blame? The mechanic will blame the engine and the wrecker will blame the mechanic. Luckily it’s a family friend so one hopes they’ll sort such stuff if it occurs.

With unknown service providers, it’s often just simpler to let the mechanic supply the parts (and adds his markup) because if something goes wrong you only have one business to deal with. But unknown also means unknown quality of work so there is that…. Cars, they can be a pain…

As far as problems occurring, we’ll engine swaps aren’t difficult, just make sure it’s given a one over before installation. Removing rockers to check the tops of the heads isn’t a bad idea as is a full coolant chemical flush.

With 2017 built LS3’s, well they have known rocker issues. And all LS3’s supposedly have lifter pushrod issues with high mileage along with valve spring issues at times. These engines are also notorious for injector issues. So checking the condition of the replacement engine’s oil, checking the lifter passage oil screen (I think LS3’s have one) and looking at the rockers, lifters and springs for obvious damage isn’t a dad idea though at 38,000kms it should be all ok if serviced well. I’d also check injector resistance is within spec and I’d do these things before the install with the engine on a stand as it’s easier.

After install an oil flush with new oil and filter and new coolant is good insurance.

And as for injector issues, well you've still got the old engine and all those old injectors that can be kept as spares just in case…

Again, having the engine number and VIN of the donor vehicle allows you to check the service history and mileage with Holden. Even better if you sight the service booklet and see who did the servicing. Seeing the diner vehicle also allows you to see what sort of crash was involved because there are some crashes (head on into light pole) where I’d not want that used engine.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
A wrecker engine should come with a 30 to 90 day warranty

Ask your mechanic who is doing the job

This also means you need to be wary on how long between purchase and installation

Good luck mate

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can't remember but I don't think they named and shamed either.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
mcm didnt name and shame but people worked out which wrecker it was

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
UPDATE: I’ve purchased the replacement engine, it has 38,000ks on it. I was able to get it for $15k, the mechanic is charging me $1900 for the labor plus oil, coolant etc. AWN have authorised $4000k reimbursement so looks like it’ll cost me $13k for the entire job. Engine will arrive later this week so hopefully by Xmas I’ll have it back