Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

seized lifter on 6.0 ltr ssv

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Noise doesnt go away.

Not related to piston slap, being lifters I would say yes related to lifters hehe.

atomic maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve maloo
Yeah sounds like belt noise in your case. To confirm, pour water on the belt when its chirping, if it stops, its the belt.

I put water on the belt this morning and the squeek went away but didn't last long you can't hear it much on idle but when the revs are up you can I'm worried now

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
To the OP, yes I recently had major problems and cost because of the stock lifters. Gouged a number of the lobes in my aftermarket camshaft. In retrospect I should have changed the lifters when I originally got the cam. Needless to say I now have good aftermarket ones!

Out of interest, I have heard that there was a change in the stock lifters used by GM some time in 2008. Out of interest, when was your car made?

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Piss the stock lifters off if you can.I put in a set of Morel Tie Bar Performance Street Lifters.You can then do away with them crap lifters and the plastic lifter trays.
They cost $500 from GM Motorsport
Lifters - GM Motorsport
2012-03-15 11.46.58.jpg

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Piss the stock lifters off if you can.I put in a set of Morel Tie Bar Performance Street Lifters.You can then do away with them crap lifters and the plastic lifter trays.
They cost $500 from GM Motorsport
Lifters - GM Motorsport
View attachment 142752

If doing this, you will need to machine the heads and install new head gaskets. Looking at another $350.00

Plus standard pushrods will be to long, need to change them looking at another $220.00 or so.

May as well install a cam while your at it, with better springs.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
If doing this, you will need to machine the heads and install new head gaskets. Looking at another $350.00

Plus standard pushrods will be to long, need to change them looking at another $220.00 or so.

That's the way to go I think, new cam, lifters, the works. Once I'm off my Ps I'm driving the SSV down to VCM to have a cam package fitted :)
To many issues with the stock valve train.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS

I didn't get the heads machined or it didn't show up on the bill from the work shop anyway.
Push rods,head gaskets,springs and so on come with the cam package and was all done at the same time to save to abit of money.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
That's the way to go I think, new cam, lifters, the works. Once I'm off my Ps I'm driving the SSV down to VCM to have a cam package fitted :)
To many issues with the stock valve train.

It's the way to go mate.I will posting a thread on my VCM cam install next week.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Out of interest, I have heard that there was a change in the stock lifters used by GM some time in 2008. Out of interest, when was your car made?

That only related to GM in the US and lifter issues with the L76 AFM variant. Lifter part numbers quoted in the TSB were/are different to the part numbers listed on GMH systems here in Aust.

In 2011 the L77 now has a lifter part number that is consistant with one of the part numbers quoted in that earlier US TSB.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I put water on the belt this morning and the squeek went away but didn't last long you can't hear it much on idle but when the revs are up you can I'm worried now

I had a simialr issue with my old SSV. The squeeling was intense when you reved the engine. I took the AC belt off and the noise was no longer there. Either the belt itself has crapped out, missalighed or the AC pully is on it way out.

Try taking off the AC belt and see how it goes. Takes about 5 mins to do.