Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Selecting Rims to Fit VH Wagon

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Mines not a turbo diff, it's a 6cyl if that makes more sense ?
My point is you should be able to use the 28 spline 4 spider centre from a live VN-VS (which is the same as a VLT) in the VL diff and then just use shortened VN axles. All the listings for M78 centres say they suit VL-VS.

Seems like 31 spline axles are a common aftermarket item, but you also need a centre to suit. Probably fairly common with a full spool.

RoChester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Never heard of a 32 spline BW78. VN-S live axle were all 28 spline to the best of my knowledge along with VL turbo & V8.
I've never heard of one either that's why it stuck with me, but I haven't been doing mods on cars for a long time so thought a bloke in a tyre shop would have a better idea than me. So your probably right mate, either way, if that's the case and they're all 28 spline it works out better for me. a bit easier to set up and a lot fkn cheaper than billet.

RoChester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
My point is you should be able to use the 28 spline 4 spider centre from a live VN-VS (which is the same as a VLT) in the VL diff and then just use shortened VN axles. All the listings for M78 centres say they suit VL-VS.

Seems like 31 spline axles are a common aftermarket item, but you also need a centre to suit. Probably fairly common with a full spool.
Righto,,,,, so the diff I'm getting built is an M75 with KAAZ ( fits 75 - 78 ) 28 spline super Q LSD, old mate at the tyre shop was telling me today the VN axels will suit just need to get them shortened, but also said needing to get them changed from 31 ( I thought he said 32 ) to 28 spline, not sure why he threw that in coz we weren't talking aftermarket axels if thats the case.... all good I'm getting there.....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Hurt my head a bit trying to decipher that info lol

If it's 31 spline it's aftermarket.

To use vn-vs axles start off with 2 long axles one is cut & resplined to be vl short axle...won't be as strong as aftermarket but they're ok for 300hp & if you're not a madman.

The other vn-vs long axle is trimmed down to vl long axle length...barely 20mm engagement left on the axle spline.

If going to trouble of aftermarket lsd it's silly not to go 31 spline if need axles anyway...virtually same cost for much stronger result.

The bit about dude saying can go 25mm shorter on aftermarket axles is probably about splined section engagement for whatever common length axles he can get

Can't see the point going kaaz unless crircuit track is the plan....seen street cars with spools,trutracs & tightened up factory lsd can't say seen anyone use kaaz for street/drags/skids.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can't see the point going kaaz unless crircuit track is the plan....
I've heard they're pretty rough. One of my friends says he pretty much won't use one in any of his Nissans unless it's second hand because it will be significantly more broken in.

Do you know if you're getting a 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way OP?

RoChester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
I've heard they're pretty rough. One of my friends says he pretty much won't use one in any of his Nissans unless it's second hand because it will be significantly more broken in.

Going 2 way.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Going 2 way.
Eh, just be aware that's basically a locked diff, particularly with Kaaz. Great for drifting but you might get sick of it on the street.

Didn't look at the Harrop TrueTrac or the torque lock WaveTrac style ones?

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

You're mate doesn't know how to set them is the issue.

You turn the clutch packs around , change the clutch packs completely and some people leave some out , changing the stack height definitely wouldn't reccomend.

They're adjustable in the amount of lock application on throttle and on decel. A mate originally had his set up at 25% lock on Accel I laughed and said bring me it when it singles out and you've cooked a friction. You don't have enough power to let it lock that little without burning a clutch and take it drift prac. I think I ended up resetting it to 60% acceleration lock.

The 1.5 way has a slightly different engagement shape on it so on decell that it only see's half of the lock that is produced on accell.

So a 2 way with 60% lock is 60% lock on accell and decell. A 1.5 way is 60% on accell , 30% on decell.

You can set a 2 way up to behave tamer then a 1.5 way pending the situation.

I don't like them on the street due to the high level of maintenance required. If I don't plan on doing donuts I always machine and shim the cone type. If it's going to see some circle work or some actual drift prac I'd go a tru track , lokka or a Detroit locker. Lokka isn't to be confused with a spool , mini spool or cig locker. It's a brand of ratcheting locker .

RoChester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Eh, just be aware that's basically a locked diff, particularly with Kaaz. Great for drifting but you might get sick of it on the street.

Didn't look at the Harrop TrueTrac or the torque lock WaveTrac style ones?
Mate the way I went about it I picked out a well known Diff builder in Adelaide , he builds and supplies diff and parts all over the country, went and told him I'm building a 355 with about 450 hp going into a VH, it's mostly going to be cruising around but I'm gonna give it a gutfull occassionally and don't want it to break, he talked me through the Kaaz how it all works and that out of the box they are a race ready system, but when they're tuned back correctly clutches adjusted to suit they're 100% suited to what I'm building, and parts are easily accessible so it sounded like a good fit from what he described, I didn't want to put in a 9" so rebuilding an M75 to fit basically straight in with a couple of mods worked for me.

H

harrop.senator

Mate the way I went about it I picked out a well known Diff builder in Adelaide , he builds and supplies diff and parts all over the country, went and told him I'm building a 355 with about 450 hp going into a VH, it's mostly going to be cruising around but I'm gonna give it a gutfull occassionally and don't want it to break, he talked me through the Kaaz how it all works and that out of the box they are a race ready system, but when they're tuned back correctly clutches adjusted to suit they're 100% suited to what I'm building, and parts are easily accessible so it sounded like a good fit from what he described, I didn't want to put in a 9" so rebuilding an M75 to fit basically straight in with a couple of mods worked for me.

When you don't know enough you need to put your trust in someone man. Even though I wouldn't run one personally in a street car does not mean my opinion is more valid than his or anyone elses for that matter.

Having twenty different opinions and no personal knowledge on the situation is confusing and aggravating. Put your trust in him if you have faith in the reccomendations.

If you don't like how it reacts take it back and have him tune your complaints out.

Honestly apart from kaaz oil being so expensive and needing done every 5k there's nothing else I can say bad about them.