Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seppos have finally noticed Holden's woes

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yes I should've said VE ~ VF as they are the same. The woman from whom I bought my Calais bought of all things a Holden Trax because of her incapacity of getting in and out of a vehicle at age 86. She said to me that the Calais was the best of all the Holden's that they had as Employee vehicles during her husbands 50 plus years as a GMH Employee.

Once you've experienced a back injury you very quickly realise how hard it is getting in and out of a car and the lower they are with wide sill panels the harder it is all round. It can be rather agonising I might add.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I thought ld add some food for thought to stir up the dust. Back in the 90s the government with strong police push wanted to rid our big bangers and us to become asian inspired meaning small car friendly. This would in theory spike car sales as the police culled the car enthusiasts. GMH fought hard for us and rebelled providing emission reductions to and safety features as a compromise. The government and associates even cut research and development funding for example, this action brought on the cheap imports as the funding went elsewhere, so the government screwed GMH. Trades employment was doomed as the funding to trade base schools was evident also. GMH has provided us with some great cars over the years and fought a bloody battle along the way in hope to satisfy the vehicle enthusiasts, fleet consumers including government vehicles. Australia is GMH turf and always will be in meny enthusiasts/owners veiw. If you need a tissue as you dont agree they might have some at the Hyundai dealer....

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^ I must have been somewhere else as I don't remember the above scenario.
But I do remember the 'V8s till 98' publicity which had nothing to do with Gov or police, but more as a result of Holden's initial reluctance to spend money to emission comply the 5.0 litre. This only happened thanks to the Fed Gov tipping buckets of taxpayers money into Holden, (and Ford, Mitsi, Toyota, and Nissan.)
I also remember the 'Button plan' which maybe looked good on paper, and was the first nail in the local manufacturing coffin. (Thanks ALP.)
And, now FTAs with just about every country in the world except Antarctica to screw us. (Thanks ALP and Libs.)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
^^^ I must have been somewhere else as I don't remember the above scenario.
But I do remember the 'V8s till 98' publicity which had nothing to do with Gov or police, but more as a result of Holden's initial reluctance to spend money to emission comply the 5.0 litre. This only happened thanks to the Fed Gov tipping buckets of taxpayers money into Holden, (and Ford, Mitsi, Toyota, and Nissan.)
I also remember the 'Button plan' which maybe looked good on paper, and was the first nail in the local manufacturing coffin. (Thanks ALP.)
And, now FTAs with just about every country in the world except Antarctica to screw us. (Thanks ALP and Libs.)
I remember the "V8's till 98" promotion too. It was kicked off by Jeff Paradise and Street Machine magazine not long after Ford announced they were killing off their V8 Aussie cars, around 1984 with the XE. The European Sports Pack Falcon Ghia was going to be their last V8. Holden hadn't indicated their future V8 plans at that stage so Paradise and Co. kicked off their promotion to keep the V8 alive. Definitely had nothing to do with police or government action.

Last edited:

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
I remember buying a Stihl 076 chainsaw back in the day and the adds read something like “the V8 chainsaw” with a 308 pictured where the 2 stroke normally was.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I don't think GM HQ gives a toss about Holden. They just want to sell some GM product.
They failed to realize Holden was GM here. Now that sales have crashed they may have noticed, but it's too late.
Whatever soft spot I had for Holden I don't have for GM.
Waiting for an affordable electric. What's Gupta up to at Whyalla ?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
After flogging off SAAB, Hummer and Opel, and killing Pontiac which for years was the GM performance Division, I don't think GM gives a damn about the Holden brand any more. The deletion of any reference to the Holden name in the design and engineering departments which still exist here is just the next step in deserting an Australian icon. Don't be surprised if the name is put up for grabs and the only intetested parties are Chinese.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Reality …. it may not be all that bad to have a Chinese Holden.
They have bought, and re-invigorated some nearly dead brands in the last few years. Their cars are still crap, but they are progressing from rickshaws to cars a lot faster than the Japanese and Koreans did.
Plus they have realised that employing Western designers and engineers are the key future success.
(I still won't be buying one)

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I realise that selling off the name might at least see Holdens long after GM would have retained the name but the name is so iconic, to older Australians anyway, that it would almost seem like sacrilage to have another Chinese ownership of Australian "property".