Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 motor with series 2 radiator, can it work?

DAVIDC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais International S/C
Hey guys,
I've run into a bit of trouble with project aero, while putting the series 2 motor into the series 1 shell, I decided to keep the series 1 radiator and heater tap? the whole system pretty much.
I'm just running into a lot a problems with connecting ****, and the books I have don't show you how to connect series 1 stuff to series 2 motors.

Is it just easier getting the whole series 2 radiator system and chucking that in?
Any help/ideas/hate would be appreciated!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I had a S2 radiator on a S1 motor = fail. Had serious coolant drinking problem.

If your fitting a S2 motor I would get all the S2 stuff from the wreckers and fit that in. Less chance of issues.

sheded_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais v6, VN Exec on nitrous budget skid car
just for future reference, as i came here looking for an answer to the above question but was unsuccessfull i decided what the hell and gave it a try, the answer is YES a series 2 radiator will work with a vn series 1, make sure you use a new radiator cap CPC part 538-20 rated at 135kpa, when topping up the coolant leave the cap off the header tank and the radiator slowly fill both until you cant get anymore water in their, then put the caps back on, i drove my car for a good 15 minutes got it upto running temp then let it idle for 15 or so minutes to make sure i had correct operation of my thermo fan and nothing stupid was happening (water leaks etc) and all seems fine, when car has cooled top up header tap and radiator if necessary.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
sure you can put it in... it's not designed for it though, the s2 engine has a bleeder to remove air from the system on the thermostat housing, the s1 engine and system automatically bleeds the air as it's always circulating coolant through the bottle where you fill it.... 2 completely different systems... as a s1 is 22-24 years old now and the radiator is probably just about stuffed, buy a s2/vp/vr radiator and throw that in there to suit the engine.

DAVIDC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais International S/C
From memory, I used the complete Series 2 coolant system but had heaps of trouble with the heater tap. Got it working though, so it can be done. Defiantly would not do it again though, just does not seem worth it when it should be such a simple thing :p

sapeter

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Vt Commodore 50th anniversary Edition
whats the best coolant to use in the Vn S1 radiator?

Is there another way to fill the radiator besides using the overflow container?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i've been using nulon concentrate (small bottle) and the rest water for a long time with good results, once again it's not an overflow bottle (the one on the drivers side with the screw cap?), it's part of the cooling system, some vn s1's had a separate overflow bottle on the passenger side of the engine bay from memory but i've only ever seen pictures of this and never one when poking my head under the hood.

sapeter

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Vt Commodore 50th anniversary Edition
only reason is because i dont have a cap on the radiator.. (radiator with no cap)

so if i get another radiator with a cap would that do the job?

Nulon Concentrate << Is that the proper name for the coolant?