Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 VE SS-V Grille options

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Hi all- I just pulled off the Chev badges from my VE and wondering if they have yet made a nice aftermarket grille without the huge lion badge on the front?

I did a lot of searching on this forum and almost all of the posts go back at least 10 years or more, with lots of interest at the time. The pics attached I got from earlier posts are of a grille that looks awesome - has anybody seen these still available lately? I know my car is 15 years old and most interest in cosmetic mods for them has long since evaporated. But still - I'd love a more simpler honeycomb grille without that horrible huge emblem. We all know what car they are without that huge badge. Painting them black makes them look dodgy and even worse (IMO !).

Other options are to just modify myself - cut out the circlular ring and epoxy in some same type honeycombe from donar grilles. But if someone has already made something similar I'd buy it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ve grille 2.jpg
    ve grille 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 89
  • ve grille 1.jpg
    ve grille 1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 74

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
How does this not look good!
I agree - it looks really nice, the whole package. Ta for the link on that.

However the angle of the first attached pic (green car) though for what Sydney Special Vehicles call the 'Sports Grille' makes the front look a little like a groper fish, with the protruding lips. Just my opinion, but that angle it appears tacked on. If it was more flush with perhaps some satin black edge trim, I think it would look better.

The second attached pic is more of what I'm looking for. Same company (S.S.V.). I just emailed them then to ask if they sell that grille insert separately. I'm betting they don't. That picture is just showing the front bar and garnish items. Probably won't get a reply until next week though.

Attachments

• S2 Spgrille.jpg
    S2 Spgrille.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 79
  • S1 VE grille, upper.jpg
    S1 VE grille, upper.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree - it looks really nice, the whole package. Ta for the link on that.

However the angle of the first attached pic (green car) though for what Sydney Special Vehicles call the 'Sports Grille' makes the front look a little like a groper fish, with the protruding lips. Just my opinion, but that angle it appears tacked on. If it was more flush with perhaps some satin black edge trim, I think it would look better.

The second attached pic is more of what I'm looking for. Same company (S.S.V.). I just emailed them then to ask if they sell that grille insert separately. I'm betting they don't. That picture is just showing the front bar and garnish items. Probably won't get a reply until next week though.
You have to get the genuine article. The aftermarket ones look crap because they are too rounded off. Looks like a groper fish like you said.

https://hdt.com.au/product/hdt-ve-vk-retro-grille-series-i/

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You have to get the genuine article. The aftermarket ones look crap because they are too rounded off. Looks like a groper fish like you said.
yeah, that looks better, more integrated looking. But wondering... compared to the more stock ones, would the letterbox type restrict air to the radiator? Just a newbie with VEs so just going on layman's experience. I'm sure they get lots through the grille from under the bumper but the upper one def looks more restrictive. And esp with performance engines working hotter.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Hi all- I just pulled off the Chev badges from my VE and wondering if they have yet made a nice aftermarket grille without the huge lion badge on the front?

I did a lot of searching on this forum and almost all of the posts go back at least 10 years or more, with lots of interest at the time. The pics attached I got from earlier posts are of a grille that looks awesome - has anybody seen these still available lately? I know my car is 15 years old and most interest in cosmetic mods for them has long since evaporated. But still - I'd love a more simpler honeycomb grille without that horrible huge emblem. We all know what car they are without that huge badge. Painting them black makes them look dodgy and even worse (IMO !).

Other options are to just modify myself - cut out the circlular ring and epoxy in some same type honeycombe from donar grilles. But if someone has already made something similar I'd buy it.

Thanks.
Also consider the stock SSV grill... IMO, they look best on the VE's...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, that looks better, more integrated looking. But wondering... compared to the more stock ones, would the letterbox type restrict air to the radiator? Just a newbie with VEs so just going on layman's experience. I'm sure they get lots through the grille from under the bumper but the upper one def looks more restrictive. And esp with performance engines working hotter.
I wouldn’t expect that it would make that much difference as most of the air comes through the bottom opening of the front bar below the number plate.

TBH I could see it making more of a difference to an OTRCAI than radiator cooling as cold air intakes normally do take all their air from the top (over the top of the radiator).

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TBH I could see it making more of a difference to an OTRCAI than radiator cooling as cold air intakes normally do take all their air from the top (over the top of the radiator).
Interesting, ta for that. My VE has an OTR , which I assume is Over The Radiator C.A.I. The seller told me that the engine takes ages to get to operating temp. Which I was a bit surprised about.