Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 VE SS-V Grille options

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
lso consider the stock SSV grill... IMO, they look best on the VE's...
Which one is the SS-V grille? I did a search and got a few different ones. Most look like a stock VE Commodore one. I don't like the huge shiny lion badge in the middle and painting them satin black looks so rough and tacky. Pity the ones I posted pictures of above, are not commonly available. There is also some pictures (in Google Images after the search) of the long vertical split type which looks like it's off the Pontiac version in the US. Not sure that I could live with that, although no doubt it looks different enough to turn heads. The bonnet slots look really good though.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Interesting, ta for that. My VE has an OTR , which I assume is Over The Radiator C.A.I. The seller told me that the engine takes ages to get to operating temp. Which I was a bit surprised about.
The old pushrod LS engine is very under stressed most of the time. Mine takes a long time to get up to temperature as well, which isn’t ideal on the cold mornings we’ve been having but it it is what it is.

It’s worked to my advantage though one time not long after I got the car and the thermostat broke shut. Just putting the heater on and fan on maximum was enough to stop it from overheating for the 20 minutes I had to drive home (highway driving).

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Which one is the SS-V grille? I did a search and got a few different ones. Most look like a stock VE Commodore one. I don't like the huge shiny lion badge in the middle and painting them satin black looks so rough and tacky. Pity the ones I posted pictures of above, are not commonly available. There is also some pictures (in Google Images after the search) of the long vertical split type which looks like it's off the Pontiac version in the US. Not sure that I could live with that, although no doubt it looks different enough to turn heads. The bonnet slots look really good though.
Pretty sure SV6, SS and SSV all use the same grille. I’ve had an SV6 before and now my SSV and the grille is the same. If the SV6 and SSV have the same grille it makes sense that the SS one is the same as well.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
. There is also some pictures (in Google Images after the search) of the long vertical split type which looks like it's off the Pontiac version in the US. Not sure that I could live with that, although no doubt it looks different enough to turn heads. The bonnet slots look really good though.
Yes .......that would be the Pontiac G8 version, same as what was available in about 2010 as an option on the SSVs.
Those bits and pieces are still available new, if you want to go that way $$$.
If you squint a bit with one eye closed, it looks like an evolution of the Holden grille from VR > VX. Sorta, kinda.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Which one is the SS-V grille? I did a search and got a few different ones. Most look like a stock VE Commodore one.
The SSV grill is the same one used on the SV6 and SS... It looks like this:

1690070037750.png

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I don't like the huge shiny lion badge in the middle and painting them satin black looks so rough and tacky. Pity the ones I posted pictures of above, are not commonly available. There is also some pictures (in Google Images after the search) of the long vertical split type which looks like it's off the Pontiac version in the US. Not sure that I could live with that, although no doubt it looks different enough to turn heads. The bonnet slots look really good though.
Yep, I agree that painting the badge black looks tacky (and is mostly done by P-Platers with their SV6's)... The Pontiac front end was also used on some of our models, once Pontiac shut down as Holden still had some parts left over, so they fitted the front end to some SSV's and called them "Special Editions"

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The SSV grill is the same one used on the SV6 and SS... It looks like this:
Ta for the pic! It's what I assumed just from looking at all the pics online. Pity they didn't acknowledge the SS-V better though with a more unique grille. After all, it was pretty high on the list and well over $50k when new in 2008. In today's money, I looked it up and hard to believe, that's almost $80k. The seller of mine, a die-hard VE V8 fan (he'd owned this one since new in 2008) had a gripe that the SS-V still looked hardly different from the SSV6, with just the small V on the back and something else I've forgotten. Now I know what he means. It wouldn't have been too much trouble for Holden to make something like what I put up earlier. And would guarantee a higher status and resale for many years down the track.

Then again, all the manufacturers do similar things. Chrysler Australia did worthwhile upgrades to their cars in the late 70s and only signified it by a different number on the dealer's order. And the RPO83 in the XA Falcon GT was very special but you would hardly have known by looking at the car compared to a standard GT. I suppose it all just boils down to the almighty $ cost.

Attachments

• ve grille 1.jpg
    ve grille 1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The old pushrod LS engine is very under stressed most of the time.
That's good to know. Still the the good 'ol lazy American V8 we love so much
Mine takes a long time to get up to temperature as well, which isn’t ideal on the cold mornings we’ve been having but it it is what it is.
Our AM weather is very cold too so I suppose I'll be getting to know its characteristics soon enough.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you squint a bit with one eye closed, it looks like an evolution of the Holden grille from VR > VX. Sorta, kinda.
Know what you mean. It's almost a whole subject in itself, how the styling themes and cues from the manufacturers carry through to other countries' own designs. The Camaro style grille on the HQ and tail lights in the HQ rear bumper was a good example but there would be dozens of more subtle ones than that from GM. The Coke bottle hipline on the Fords is another one. Hood and door scollops (spelling?) in the early 70s Dodge models made their way to 71-on Valiants

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
The seller of mine, a die-hard VE V8 fan (he'd owned this one since new in 2008) had a gripe that the SS-V still looked hardly different from the SSV6, with just the small V on the back and something else I've forgotten.
Pretty sure there was a few other extras, such as Brembo brakes, beefer looking wheels, badges as you said and I'm pretty sure the centre infotainment was more like a Calais than an SV6... But as mentioned, not too much difference and I probably would've just bought an SS if I was buying a VE V8 brand new...