Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 2 VE Calais V or VF Evoke

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Hey PIR4TE, thanks for pictures. They certainly look different to the VE's. Doing these 4 inner guard changes alone to VF spec, how effective do you think it is for reduction of road noise. Is it a worthwhile mod on its own??

If I was to go and ask my parts interpreter at Holden, what model vehicle in the VF range would I ask for so it fits my car. Do the inner guards fit exactly without any mods and screw in the exact same way??

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hey PIR4TE, thanks for pictures. They certainly look different to the VE's. Doing these 4 inner guard changes alone to VF spec, how effective do you think it is for reduction of road noise. Is it a worthwhile mod on its own??

Yes, I definitely noticed it. I have a video of me clicking my fingernails which you can hear loudly over the road noise here, skip through to 1:50.

If I was to go and ask my parts interpreter at Holden, what model vehicle in the VF range would I ask for so it fits my car. Do the inner guards fit exactly without any mods and screw in the exact same way??

All I can advise is that the SS Wagon fits really well, I had a body shop install them as Holden wouldn't do it, there was nothing that they couldn't fit using original scrivets and screws.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
All I can advise is that the SS Wagon fits really well, I had a body shop install them as Holden wouldn't do it, there was nothing that they couldn't fit using original scrivets and screws.

That's awesome to hear that it's effective. So if I was to order VF Evoke wheel inner guards x 4 I should be fine or would it be wise to go like for like and request VF Calais V ones from Holden Parts?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
That's awesome to hear that it's effective. So if I was to order VF Evoke wheel inner guards x 4 I should be fine or would it be wise to go like for like and request VF Calais V ones from Holden Parts?

Ah to be clear, most parts interpreters go off the VIN and part numbers solely else it's their arse on the line. Unless they are 100% sure they won't even order it, so you need to build a bit of rapport, you know... some of how to win friends and influence people!, grease the wheel.
You will need to understand issues they mention, mainly that VF has less room and slightly different shape at the front so ask for printouts of the diagrams, weigh up that it will require some custom fitting and whether that can be done by a reasonable installer / body shop quickly.
Of course special order is cash up front and no returns. So hear what they have to say about my SS Sportwagon fit and show them the pics.
Cost all up was $220 plus $150 to fit (coz they didn't want to do it parts supplied and wrong model etc. Just take a look at my sig and see that you can really transform our car doing the extra bit of research, from flappy paddles to spooky performance.
Definitely worth checking it out :yarr:

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
Has anybody tried or does anybody think it would work just as effective by taking off the inner wheel guard on my VE and using dynamat on the wheel arch instead of buying the VF inner wheel guard and maybe spending time and money modifying.

I'm thinking I may stick with VE at this point in time.

Also, Looking for a nice set of smaller genuine mags at a reasonable price is hard to find in WA. I like the 08 VE Calais 17's but can't find any.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I think the commodore has the same stud pattern as BMW so perhaps search for them as well as it should be a pretty common size for their non performance variants.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Has anybody tried or does anybody think it would work just as effective by taking off the inner wheel guard on my VE and using dynamat on the wheel arch instead of buying the VF inner wheel guard and maybe spending time and money modifying.

Good idea, love the stuff, best thing for door skins and the walls of the spare wheel well, bloody dear and heavy to do all the area of the guards I would think, maybe same price but less risk etc.

Of course the sound of the current wheel tub is like when you tap on an empty 20 litre drum (worse actually), versus the redesigned arches more like tapping on carpet or a stiffly ironed shirt.

I'm thinking I may stick with VE at this point in time.

True, look at the fanaticism of G8 owners in the US who firmly believe it is better in so many ways that make it more collectible than the Chevy SS (VF LS3) despite having less gizmos. Ultimately both are very similar (identical) apart from the dash, bumpers and lights. Personally it's taken four years to sort this one, not that motivated to part with $70,000+ to mainly upgrade the dash. Will see how deals roll out OFC.

Also, Looking for a nice set of smaller genuine mags at a reasonable price is hard to find in WA. I like the 08 VE Calais 17's but can't find any.

I regularly see nice original 17's on eBay BTW, take a look at this for value.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
Can anybody use photoshop well. Would like my car photoshopped to have 2011 16" VE Omega Series 2 Rims.

If you need better pics of my car, please let me know.

People's thoughts on the rim change would be appreciated also.

My car below;

2a0gto2.jpg

11hsc9f.jpg

2vmulac.jpg

The rims below to photoshop on my car;

28asqv9.jpg

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
rims2.jpg

Heres a quick one i did on my phone. Obviously the rims that you have on your car already look 10x better, i assume you have a reason for wanting to change?