Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service ESP

Lyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF Storm
Hi brains trust.
So today I was driving home and I was idling at a set of lights, car started running really rough, engine light started flashing, traction control light came on and then Service ESP showed up.
Car was very limp and clunky downshifting, brakes were also slow.
2015 SV6 Storm with 88k on the clock, is due for next service at 92k.
I only ever put premium in the car.
Please Help.
I just spent a lot fixing the fuel pump after that went and now this.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Injectors. Super common

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Before you get too carried away, measure the injector resistance which is quick and easy to do.I think the resistance is 12 ohms when good… If the injector resistance is outside spec, they’ll need replacing.

A general video below

And a VF specific video in how to check engine issues (with service ESP issues)

If injector is blocked due to crappy fuel, cleaning can be done at home as below:

There are a few threads on fuel injector issues that discuss warranty, ACCC undertakings by Holden and ACL statutory warranties… If injectors are stuffed, Google will help find these threads :cool:

Heres just one…

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/fuel-injector-failure.273845/

there are many others…

Oh, and service ESP message can be due to many other issues so don’t think it will always be faulty or blocked injectors but injector tests are easy…

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do V6s have injector issues as well? I thought it was a V8 thing?
All cars can have injector issues that can occur due to poor fuel (as the VF video shows with the blocked and subsequently cleaned injector).

However you’re correct in that the GM/Holden injector issue, which is related to failure of the internal electrical coil as shown by out of spec resistance, is only seen on VF LS3’s IIRC. This issue was previously handled quickly by Holden replacing all 8 injectors (at their cost) as such faults can’t be fixed via an injector clean (since it’s electrical in nature and not a mechanical blockage)… Sadly it seems Holden aren’t replacing V8 injectors in the same way the6 were doing so in previous years…

Not sure how I missed the fact OP’s car was a V6 :rolleyes: However, I t’s always worth checking the injector resistance as it’s such an easy check to do :p

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Before you get too carried away, measure the injector resistance which is quick and easy to do.I think the resistance is 12 ohms when good… If the injector resistance is outside spec, they’ll need replacing.

A general video below

And a VF specific video in how to check engine issues (with service ESP issues)

If injector is blocked due to crappy fuel, cleaning can be done at home as below:

There are a few threads on fuel injector issues that discuss warranty, ACCC undertakings by Holden and ACL statutory warranties… If injectors are stuffed, Google will help find these threads :cool:

Heres just one…

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/fuel-injector-failure.273845/

there are many others…

Oh, and service ESP message can be due to many other issues so don’t think it will always be faulty or blocked injectors but injector tests are easy…

On ya mate, nailed it again, if it's not that maybe the battery.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
always worth checking the injector resistance as it’s such an easy check to do :p

like you mentioned before many things can disable the esp and that is what causes the service esp message.
this is where gds2 really proves its worth as it can point you to the failing part.

for instance about 2 weeks ago my colorado displayed service park assist because park assist had been disabled by something malfunctioning so the other day i fired up gds2 with the vxdiag and went into the park assist module and pulled the log and codes and sure enough it had rear right bank inner sensor failure.
i popped that sensor out and yes it looks like something has hit it so 25 bucks later a new sensor in and reset through gds2 and the problem is fixed.

from the outside it did not look like anything was wrong because it was on a plastic bumper so it probably flexed when some idiot hit it with a shopping trolley or something and without gds2 i could have been screwing around for days.

also i had a sensor from a vf international front bumper loom, the sensor had a different part number but looked identical and when i connected that gds2 even said wrong part installed.

a dealer probably would have charged me 200 or 300 bucks so the vxdiag has paid for its self within 1 repair.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Agreed @stooge, a VXDiag Nano is a great tool and a worthwhile investment (one which I’ve yet to make but will when needed).

For some, such tools can be too costly, too complex to set up, to complex to use and as such a dealer can be an easier option for them. For some, the dealer is the fallback if the simple check don’t indicate where the fault may lie.

Lyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF Storm
So had the car scanned today. These are the errors that came up.
Battery is only a few months old
Mechanic has suggested changing spark plugs
CE6D21EA-4750-4BF3-98A6-95826FE4175D.jpeg
91416218-8F40-46FE-9E7B-9A9E2BA62041.jpeg