Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service Side Detection System

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline
Hey Guys and Girls,

Started my VF2 SSVR this morning and was greeted with the pictured error msg on the dash stating: Service Side Detection System.

Does anyone know what this is and what's involved?
I'm assuming it's do to do with the mirrors blind spot warning or the alert when reversing?

I've got the car booked in for its service tomorrow. I don't service it through Holden anymore though as I go through who tuned the engine. Is this something only a Holden dealer can fix?

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200505-134917.png
    Screenshot_20200505-134917.png
    544.6 KB · Views: 890

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Something akimbo with radar pods used for detecting fixed objects when parking with Park Assist (?). Those pods at the rear and side panels are sending the blind spot alert to the mirrors.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@VinnieLS3, "side detection system" is the smarts behind blind spot monitoring feature (visual warning in exterior rear vision mirrors), rear cross traffic allert feature (presumably buzzer to warn you), reverse alert feature (again buzer) and presumably auto park feature. Supposedly it used some radar modules located at each side of the rear bumber along with the ultrasonic? sensors along the bumper. Supposedly the modules are prone to failure due to poor waterproofing (according to a few US sites). At least thats what google says o_O

I'd take it to a Holden dealer and discuss why such eletrical problems exist in what isn't an old vehicle. It should be fixed under manufacturers warranty, ACL statutory warranty or good will (Holden can choose which). But you shouldn't be picking up a bill for a poorly designed module that suffers from moisture ingress because its poorly sealed and placed where it will get wet :oops:

ciggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
@VinnieLS3
I'd take it to a Holden dealer and discuss why such eletrical problems exist in what isn't an old vehicle. It should be fixed under manufacturers warranty, ACL statutory warranty or good will (Holden can choose which). But you shouldn't be picking up a bill for a poorly designed module that suffers from moisture ingress because its poorly sealed and placed where it will get wet :oops:

For the sake of Devil's Advocate, what do you say to the Holden Dealer when the inevitably tell you to take a hike? :D

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
For the sake of Devil's Advocate, what do you say to the Holden Dealer when the inevitably tell you to take a hike? :D

If you want to be polite, something along the lines of:

"Bearing in mind Holden's court enforceable undertaking to the ACCC to stop doing the wrong thing by customers, combined with my rights under the Australian Consumer Law, I respectfully ask that you revisit your position."

Alternatively, if you want to be a little more brash:

"Comply with your legal obligations and fix the fckn thing you tight arse fcuks."

ciggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
If you want to be polite, something along the lines of:

"Bearing in mind Holden's court enforceable undertaking to the ACCC to stop doing the wrong thing by customers, combined with my rights under the Australian Consumer Law, I respectfully ask that you revisit your position."

Alternatively, if you want to be a little more brash:

"Comply with your legal obligations and fix the fckn thing you tight arse fcuks."

Haha couldn't agree more. Sadly, I think they will happily tell you to go right ahead and see how far you get with ACCC.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Haha couldn't agree more. Sadly, I think they will happily tell you to go right ahead and see how far you get with ACCC.

ACCC likely won't help you.

State Fair Trading body and Small Claims Tribunal equivalent will keep you on a steady path.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If the dealer was being rude, I’d say nothing more to them but my next step in any case would be to discuss the issue and the dealers lack of professionalism with HCC.

Failing a resolution with HCC, I’d be looking at making a tribunal claim (and if reasonably possible I’d classify the fault as a major fault under ACL at which point I’d want a full purchase price refund).

Luckily most dealers know the law and quickly return to reason if you’re not being rude yourself. Annoyingly they love to call statutory warranty work good will but whatever floats their boat as long as it’s fixed. Sadly some dealers are like yapping dogs where the bark is worse than any bite they can inflict but HCC usually brings them into line.

Luckily if one dealer often has a poor attitude, you can always take your vehicle to another dealer from the diminishing Holdens dealer network :p

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Any auto electrician can fix "blind" radar pods or connectivity. He's done that with my brother's VW Golf at home, and Holden's tech is nowhere near as advanced as, for example, VW (among others which use 3D 'probing'). Not necessarily or exclusively a "take it to the fekkin' Holden Dealer!" problem, unless the car is under warranty, then you have a valid claim to return it to the Dealer.

Paint, wax, mude/dirt or dislodgment/misalignment can all affect radar pods, just like bird dung can "blind" the camera on many cars just forward of the rear vision mirror (and unbelievably, this is one of the main triggers of panic for mummy bloggers to rush to the dealer to complain of an inoperative front camera only to find a squirt with the hose on the glass fixes it!).

Last edited:

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline
Thanks for your responses guys, much appreciated.

So got it back from my mechanic/tuner today after its service...ran a diagnostics and it came back with a U code for the right mirror blind spot detection. Being a U code (can't remember the actual code, I've got the sheet home somewhere) it means it's a temporary error and these are generally caused by an issue with the connection between the sensor/system to the canbus. This can be caused from a wide range of things like a small drop on the battery voltage etc. Had the code cleared and will keep an eye on it. If it were a P code it would mean it's a permanent error and something is definitely wrong with the sensor/system.

Blind spot detection is working fine so must have been a little hiccup that threw a temp code