Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Servicing with Holden dealer or reputable local mechanic.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Hey guys just a quick question on people's thought's. Once your VF has got 70k kms on it, is everyone still taking there car to the local Holden dealer to be serviced ( i reckon they use cheap ass oils ect) or can you take to you local mechanic who you know will do a much better job or will this void warranty ect?.
Does anyone have any experience with this ?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I took the car back to the original dealer for the 1500km service, but they're 2hrs away so only did that once even though I was happy with them.
Took the car to the local dealer to get some things replaced under warranty ... they put a few minor workboot scratches in the door trim, and I had to put some of their work back together properly myself.
So from the ... 1yr? service, it's been going to a trusted mechanic ... always comes back as clean as it was when I dropped it off, and I know he does a good job.

As long as the mechanic is certified (I think by the MTA?) and uses appropriate parts (eg. for actual parts it probably has to be Holden, consumables like oil only have to be made to the stated specifications), and you follow the required service intervals, the factory warranty holds.

Dealers in general, though, will use the right parts & consumables. They won't use cheap oil, nor cheap filters etc. The parts & consumables will be perfect for the car. Plus even the apprentices know the cars they're working on, they're not super likely to screw something up IMHO. However, I do think that carelessness (possibly due to not knowing the owner) is likely to be more of a problem in a larger mechanic's workshop, and dealers are generally the largest (well in my Oz-based experience at least).

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I take mine to the local mechanic as he is only a couple of factories away from where I work . Plus the car comes back cleaner than when i dropped it off .

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I take mine to the local mechanic as he is only a couple of factories away from where I work . Plus the car comes back cleaner than when i dropped it off .
Which reminds us all - DON'T get your servicing dealership to clean/wash the car!!

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
We also have a from brand new 2015 LTZ Colorado so both Holden's get serviced at the same dealership, we have never had an offer or mention of washing either car or even offering my wife a loan car when we living an hour away have to hang around for 3 hrs waiting for the job to be done. I remember years ago with new cars they would clean them and top up wiper washer ect, don't even seem to get that anymore!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Checking and topping up fluids is part of the capped price service offering and should be performed.

Last week I took my GEN-F2 GTS in for a 15,000km service (had only done <9,000km but the 9 months since purchase were up). My instructions and the results were as follows:

1. When I booked for in the service (online) I specified "No test drive and and the vehicle was not to leave the premises". I have no reason to believe this was not followed.
2. When I took the car in (7:30am), I said to the service person that I didn't want the wheels to be rotated. Normally, service rotation involves moving the front wheels to the rear and vice versa. Because the GTS wheels are a different size front and back, rotation involves moving left wheels to the right and vice versa - I wasn't keen on this happening, and also because of the risk that the tyre pressure sensors wouldn't be updated correctly. The comment on the service invoice "Could not find lock nut key in vehicle so could not pull wheels off in service" indicates that my instruction didn't get through to the mechanics.
3. I also told the service person that I wanted the Mylink software updated because I wasn't seeing the speed camera alerts on the menu. The answer was along the lines "Oh no, that function hasn't been available for years", which is the same comment I received during the 1,000km inspection. Based on the posts in this forum on MyLink/Maps/Alerts etc. I said to him "That's not true" and left it at that. About an hour later I received a telephone call to say that "Yes, we can do that, but because it's classified as an upgrade and not warranty, you will have to pay $70 to have this done". I told him "No thanks". Thinking about this later, I would have thought that the labour time saved through not taking the car for a test drive, and not having to rotate the wheels, would have saved them at least $70, but I didn't think about that at the time.
4. I told the service person that I would wait for my car to be completed and went out to find breakfast. I had forgotten to confirm that I didn't want the HSV recommended Mobil 1 to be used for the oil change. Firstly, it was only an HSV recommendation (due to sponsorship no doubt). Secondly, the engine itself is pure GM, with no HSV added-value components and therefore the standard GM mandated Dexos1 (all synthetic) oil should have been more than adequate. Thirdly, since I intended to change the oil at 5000km/6 monthly intervals, it was another reason why the Dexos1 oil should have been more than adequate. However, when I had a look at the invoice after arriving home, I found that the oil used was Mobil Formula S, which is NOT Dexos1 certified (and costed at $87 within the capped price!!!).

The next day, I had a call from a lady, whose job was reviewing whether customers were happy their service the previous day (which I think was a good initiative by the dealership to get feedback from its customers). I explained the problems mentioned above, and she offered to replace the oil if I returned the car to the dealership. I didn't accept this kind offer (in fact I was surprised that she was able to offer it at all on the spot). I'll be draining the oil myself and replacing it with a Dexos1 certified oil this weekend. Once trust is lost, it's hard to get it back.

Comfal

Reaction score
I believe you are better taking your car to a Holden Dealer for a service. If vehicle has any software updates or recalls they can be done during a service. I have even seen mechanics take their client cars to Holden dealers as they didn't have the equipment to diagnose the problem.

If you ever have a problem with you car just out of warranty and trying to get good will from Holden I am sure you would have more chance of getting help from them if you have had the vehicle regularly serviced at a Holden Dealer.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Checking and topping up fluids is part of the capped price service offering and should be performed.

Last week I took my GEN-F2 GTS in for a 15,000km service (had only done <9,000km but the 9 months since purchase were up). My instructions and the results were as follows:

1. When I booked for in the service (online) I specified "No test drive and and the vehicle was not to leave the premises". I have no reason to believe this was not followed.
2. When I took the car in (7:30am), I said to the service person that I didn't want the wheels to be rotated. Normally, service rotation involves moving the front wheels to the rear and vice versa. Because the GTS wheels are a different size front and back, rotation involves moving left wheels to the right and vice versa - I wasn't keen on this happening, and also because of the risk that the tyre pressure sensors wouldn't be updated correctly. The comment on the service invoice "Could not find lock nut key in vehicle so could not pull wheels off in service" indicates that my instruction didn't get through to the mechanics.
3. I also told the service person that I wanted the Mylink software updated because I wasn't seeing the speed camera alerts on the menu. The answer was along the lines "Oh no, that function hasn't been available for years", which is the same comment I received during the 1,000km inspection. Based on the posts in this forum on MyLink/Maps/Alerts etc. I said to him "That's not true" and left it at that. About an hour later I received a telephone call to say that "Yes, we can do that, but because it's classified as an upgrade and not warranty, you will have to pay $70 to have this done". I told him "No thanks". Thinking about this later, I would have thought that the labour time saved through not taking the car for a test drive, and not having to rotate the wheels, would have saved them at least $70, but I didn't think about that at the time.
4. I told the service person that I would wait for my car to be completed and went out to find breakfast. I had forgotten to confirm that I didn't want the HSV recommended Mobil 1 to be used for the oil change. Firstly, it was only an HSV recommendation (due to sponsorship no doubt). Secondly, the engine itself is pure GM, with no HSV added-value components and therefore the standard GM mandated Dexos1 (all synthetic) oil should have been more than adequate. Thirdly, since I intended to change the oil at 5000km/6 monthly intervals, it was another reason why the Dexos1 oil should have been more than adequate. However, when I had a look at the invoice after arriving home, I found that the oil used was Mobil Formula S, which is NOT Dexos1 certified (and costed at $87 within the capped price!!!).

The next day, I had a call from a lady, whose job was reviewing whether customers were happy their service the previous day (which I think was a good initiative by the dealership to get feedback from its customers). I explained the problems mentioned above, and she offered to replace the oil if I returned the car to the dealership. I didn't accept this kind offer (in fact I was surprised that she was able to offer it at all on the spot). I'll be draining the oil myself and replacing it with a Dexos1 certified oil this weekend. Once trust is lost, it's hard to get it back.

Gosh !
They will be excited to see you again !!!!

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
question is do you want a mechanic or a 16yr old snot nosed 1yr app working on your car ... for a run of the mill service this would go to the app's to complete as the mechanics are busy fixing the stuff ups of the app's or more involed work other than servicing .
your local mechanic can service your vehicle without affecting your warranty , if you require warranty work or recalls updates then best to go back to the stealership for such work to be completed .
most big city stealership just burn thru customers coz they know there more out there in the same position and willing to give another stealership ago , and yes my experences come from years of working with stealerships and local workshops holden ford toyota to name afew time spent in the workshops and in the offices ...

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I prefer dealer servicing for a couple of reasons. Mainly because they work solely on Holdens every day and know them inside out, they have the correct tools and equipment specific to these cars, they use only 100% genuine parts and they are trained by GM in correct procedures and specifications. They are also kept up to date with tech bulletins, software updates etc.
While I have no doubt there are some great independent mechanics out there, I haven't really found one that I can trust, nor am I game enough to try my chances with a brand new 60k car for the sake of saving a few dollars.
Having said that, I am generally happy with my dealer's service department but still think there is room for improvement.
I recently had my 1 month inspection and when I got home discovered a few things which annoyed me. There were drops of oil left on my engine cover from when they pulled out the dipstick, they topped up the coolant reservoir but overfilled it resulting in overflow dripping out from under the front bar, and they scratched my bonnet protector while fitting it. All small issues and not really worth kicking up a fuss about, but I just wish they could have more attention to detail and treat a customer's pride and joy as if it were their own and not just some random fleet car.