Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Settle this for me... Coolant?

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
If corrosion is your problem, shouldnt you be more worried about putting inhibitor in, rather worring about the types of coolant you're mixing? It's all glycol in the end.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yes but its a big no no to mixing different brands coolants.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
The key thing is to look at the glycol content per litre... the cheaper stuff is 500g or less a litre, whereas the proper GM stuff or Nulon Concentrate stuff is over 1000g per litre.

The complete fill stuff is BS, because particularly with the V6 engine, you can't get all the coolant out, there is always several litres trapped above the heads. So the premixed stuff gets diluted even further once it mixes with that!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
The complete fill stuff is BS, because particularly with the V6 engine, you can't get all the coolant out, there is always several litres trapped above the heads. So the premixed stuff gets diluted even further once it mixes with that!

How does coolant get trapped ABOVE the heads?

FWIW the glycol content is the antifreeze component, nothing to do with corrosion...

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
It is also recommended that you use demineralised/distilled water rather than tap water when diluting the concentrate. I use Nulon concentrate and NEXT time I flush my cooling system I am going to lash out and use the distilled water as well (I forgot last time).

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
no sweat, sounds like your talking bout the overfill hose that is attached to the reservoir bottle.

if coolant is coming out of there, you either have too much coolant/water in it (should be sitting at where its marked "MAX"), or u haven't bleed your system (got all the air out of the engine/radiator/hoses etc.)

It could also be one of 2 other things, both of which should be taken care of.

1st, it could be your radiator cap. The radiator cap is a 2-way valve with a spring that is designed to only allow coolant out to the reservoir WHEN THERE IS TOO MUCH PRESSURE. If the spring has weakened, you won't be holding the correct pressure in the system, and you will end up with overheating issues when coolant drops below a certain level. It's a cheap fix and easily sorted, but will save you thousands, or save you getting stranded.

2nd, I have seen this once, and it's a real danger. There are two rubber hoses. One from the radiator, and one overflow outlet. The one from the radiator goes down into the fluid, so when the radiator cools, it draws coolant back into the system... not air.

If you get these two hoses mixed up, then any over-pressure will drop coolant into the bottle, which will then be forced straight up the pipe by the pressure and out the overflow outlet. Also, if the hoses are installed ass-about, then the hose going back to the radiator will not be picking up the coolant from the bottom of the bottle. Instead, when the radiator cools, it will suck in air. Do this too many times and you can blow a head gasket if the car is driven hard or under heavy load.

This is a well-thought-out system. Make sure it's right. Just a couple of low-pressure hose connections could cost you your engine.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
It could also be one of 2 other things, both of which should be taken care of.

1st, it could be your radiator cap. The radiator cap is a 2-way valve with a spring that is designed to only allow coolant out to the reservoir WHEN THERE IS TOO MUCH PRESSURE. If the spring has weakened, you won't be holding the correct pressure in the system, and you will end up with overheating issues when coolant drops below a certain level. It's a cheap fix and easily sorted, but will save you thousands, or save you getting stranded.

2nd, I have seen this once, and it's a real danger. There are two rubber hoses. One from the radiator, and one overflow outlet. The one from the radiator goes down into the fluid, so when the radiator cools, it draws coolant back into the system... not air.

If you get these two hoses mixed up, then any over-pressure will drop coolant into the bottle, which will then be forced straight up the pipe by the pressure and out the overflow outlet. Also, if the hoses are installed ass-about, then the hose going back to the radiator will not be picking up the coolant from the bottom of the bottle. Instead, when the radiator cools, it will suck in air. Do this too many times and you can blow a head gasket if the car is driven hard or under heavy load.

This is a well-thought-out system. Make sure it's right. Just a couple of low-pressure hose connections could cost you your engine.

The person you replied to posted on the 27-06-2009, I am sure the person has fixed it by now.

This is one example why old threads should be locked, which would avoid confusion and those who do not check the dates on the posts made here.

DanoVPSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 SII
The person you replied to posted on the 27-06-2009, I am sure the person has fixed it by now.

This is one example why old threads should be locked, which would avoid confusion and those who do not check the dates on the posts made here.

Actually, no flame war intended, but my take on it is that if I read something where I can offer even a little bit of knowledge, that can benefit anybody, then I will offer it. I am offering it to a FORUM, not just an individual who appears to only just be starting out.

I have never seen these small points highlighted before, and it's easy to miss.

Is it better that I not offer a tech tip on a car forum?