Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

She is not sounding healthy

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There is no adjustable valve lash, same as any LS
It's pushrod length only and the plunger in the lifters - but this is not the distance between cam lobes and lifters
I'm way out of my depth here (and apologies Daniel as I think I'm segueing off topic); but I thought the only reason you wouldn't need to adjust valve lash in an engine was if there was a mechanism which allows the engine to do that itself, eg. the hydraulic lash-adjusters ... hence me asking if there's any chance something which does that job needs attention.
Or is no such mechanism needed in pushrod engines?

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I'm way out of my depth here (and apologies Daniel as I think I'm segueing off topic); but I thought the only reason you wouldn't need to adjust valve lash in an engine was if there was a mechanism which allows the engine to do that itself, eg. the hydraulic lash-adjusters ... hence me asking if there's any chance something which does that job needs attention.
Hi Forg , i just want to check if somthing is broken causing the lash to be off.
Driver side (bank 2 ) cover is off.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Is this spring retainer broken

20220730_141250.jpg

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
It's not pushrods engines that are not adjustable, just the LS which users hydraulic lifters and roller cam along with other engines that use the same tech.
There are no lash adjusters in these engines.
But I guess a bent push rod or stuck lifter counts as adjustment!

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
So far there seams to be no bent push rods. I have been using one as a reference and spinining the comparison push rod around nect to the static reference one. They all look good. There is just one bastard bolt not wanting to come out. My 12 point 3/8 is gone so is the adapter for the 6 point 1/4

Baby is still sleeping
20220730_145704.jpg

The bastard one cyl 4 exhaust.

20220730_145715.jpg

Rockers looking good. All the rockers had a minimum play from side to side when no pressure was applied to the valve. No valve lash , so at least the pre tension was there.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
If you havent, try rotating the engine to relieve spring pressure then try.
They shouldn't be tight at all.

Ps I know what it's like working while babies sleep!!!!