Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

She is not sounding healthy

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
She is officially back together. Unfortunately it's too late now to give it a go. Little boy's room is sort of on top of the garage.

As soon as he wakes up she will finally wake up. After confirming she is OK, I will dump the water and oil and fill with clean stuff.

20230516_235109.jpg

This void on top of the alternator is so sad. It is like it meant to have a big fat snail in there.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
don't do what i did & give yourself carbon monoxide poisoning trying to bleed air from the system. **** sticks to your clothes & skin too where it can be absorbed transdermally.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
don't do what i did & give yourself carbon monoxide poisoning trying to bleed air from the system. **** sticks to your clothes & skin too where it can be absorbed transdermally.
Great advice. The garage fills up with CO very quickly. The wind flow is always in. I can not even think about reversing in.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
First start
Front

Behind

it is definitely much louder with the new headers and cats.

something is not right, fuel trims are going extremely negative stft -20 and ltft-7 . Wideband is showing very lean.
When I open the throttle a little , the wideband shows spot on for a second and the trims kick in spoiling everything.

I Think the nareowband sensors are not switching. I was checking with torque app and just confirmed oil pressure and fuel pressure ok . After it got too lean i turn off and didnt check the o2 which was in a different page.

I will connect hptuners and force open loop to troubleshoot

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I think this little extensions are the issue. Should have gone with estesions lead.

Screenshot_20230517_125441_Gallery.jpg

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
O2s need to be in the exhaust flow to read properly, I'd say that'll be part of the issue

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
So as expected the O2 responses were really bad using the little extensions tube.
1684672719680.png

I ended up ordering the Aeroflow AF49-1539 O2 sensor LSA extension leads. Note that some connectors are different between VF and VF2. So if you are using the workshop manual be aware that they could be different. That is the case with both O2 sensors. The VF2 uses the same connector as shown on the LSA section of the manual.

I don't know what I was thinking when I decided not to use the extension lead, especially on bank 2. The access to the O2 sensor connector is a pain to remove and I have spend many hours fighting with it in the past. Despite that , I still installed the connector on the stock position while installing the cylinder head. What a stupid idea! So I found myself again struggling with the connector. I ended up removing the intake manifold to be able to disconnect it and install the extension harness.
After removing the stupid extension tubes everything was fine, at least with the air-fuel ratio.
1684673581945.png

The good news is that I think the top end service was successful. On the first start the lifters were very noise and it was a bit of a worry but after a while they were sounding ok. All the sensors are reading ok when comparing to logs from the past. However she still sounding not so healthy. Pretty much the same as before. On the video it sounds much worse than it is, especially when listening on the phone speaker without the bass .

I really hope I will find some time to attack the bottom end myself. It had lots of fun doing the heads.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
So as expected the O2 responses were really bad using the little extensions tube.
View attachment 252107

I ended up ordering the Aeroflow AF49-1539 O2 sensor LSA extension leads. Note that some connectors are different between VF and VF2. So if you are using the workshop manual be aware that they could be different. That is the case with both O2 sensors. The VF2 uses the same connector as shown on the LSA section of the manual.

I don't know what I was thinking when I decided not to use the extension lead, especially on bank 2. The access to the O2 sensor connector is a pain to remove and I have spend many hours fighting with it in the past. Despite that , I still installed the connector on the stock position while installing the cylinder head. What a stupid idea! So I found myself again struggling with the connector. I ended up removing the intake manifold to be able to disconnect it and install the extension harness.
After removing the stupid extension tubes everything was fine, at least with the air-fuel ratio.
View attachment 252109

The good news is that I think the top end service was successful. On the first start the lifters were very noise and it was a bit of a worry but after a while they were sounding ok. All the sensors are reading ok when comparing to logs from the past. However she still sounding not so healthy. Pretty much the same as before. On the video it sounds much worse than it is, especially when listening on the phone speaker without the bass .

I really hope I will find some time to attack the bottom end myself. It had lots of fun doing the heads.

does sound a bit like a diesel wonder what issues is, maybe get a oil sample sent off to see if any nastys in the oil

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
View attachment 252107

View attachment 252109

Might do well to drop the oil pan and see if there's anything floating about in there that shouldn't be.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
stupid question, but i take it compression is fine on all cylinders after the lifter swap?