Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift Light for auto

glassjowned

"Banana Hammock"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec.
I'm not saying that its because I'm used to driving a manual, that was the first guy.

And yes when I drive alone my stereo is turned all the way up, but also as the original poster said, it is quiet, and I can't 'feel' the revs like I could in my old manual.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Spot on wrx.. I was wondering the same, any manual driver worth their salt will know to change up gears.. Changing up gears is much more intuitive than down shifting. It's pretty much the first thing you learn..

But if forgets he's in 3rd and keep driving and wastes fuel etc, I would hate to see him in any late model manual car. But I thought the tacho would've given it away anyway..

Who knows..

If I feel like driving a manual (which I regularly do), I just steal one of my mates cars..

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
When driving I check my gauges about every 10 mins, how could you not tell when your revs are up??????? Do you guys just ignore the dash?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
When you drive a manual you are changing gears all the time, when you shift down in an auto for the occassional hill once in a blue moon, it's easy to forget. And who watches their tacho every second in an auto.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
seems like it lol........... even tho if ya stereo is up u can still feel the revs in the pedal well thats how i can tell mayb its diff 4 others????

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
do u also put ur foot down on the foot rest thinking its a clutch? yep i find it pointless aswell, wanna change gears goin straight up and down go buy a quick shifter

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
thats it ur only meant 2 really use 1 foot 4 the brake n accelerater neways but not every1 drives like that tho still.... pointless haha

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I wonder why GMH gives us the option of selecting 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Drive. Why not just do away with these unnecessary selections and just give us Drive. The answer can be found in chapter 4 in the owner's manual. But hey, what would they know?

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
pics and explanation

I bought two items, from Tandy - a microswitch ($3) rated for 12 volts and a flashing LED ($5) set up for 12volts. The LED was designed to imitate a security system LED, so it came ready to mount with it's own wiring.

1. Remove centre console completely - this forum has details.
2. Connect 600mm wiring to microswitch (solder it) 2 wires
2. install micro switch onto a flat plate approx 70mm x 20mm
3. install flat plate as in picture labelled "microswitch" This pic show the lever in the D position, pulling it back from there immeditately activates the LED. The switch needs to be very precisely placed and I found that making the holes in the flat plate larger than I needed and using very short big headed self tappers gave me all the adjustment I needed. However - there is a hole in the lever which the actuating arm of the microswitch can drop into, so I had to put washers under one end to raise it to avoid this.
4. run one of the wires to earth - there are a couple of convenient screws when you pull down the fuse panel cover
6. Mount the flasher unit - I put mine on top of the steering column using an old Ford Headlight switch. The upper part of the cover can be removed by carefully squeezing it up MAKE SURE nothing is going to stick into the wiring below when you put it back.
7. run the red wire to the power at the fuse box.
8. connect the remiaing wire (white) to the other one from the microswitch.

It took me a bit over half a day to do it.
Couple of refinements
I did find that the raw LED was too much at night so as you can see in the pic I've put a "plate" over it (bit of interior light cover). Found that made it too faint in daylight especially when the sun was directly on it so it now has a bit of plastic tube over it to prevent direct access by the sun. I have to say, I am very pleased with the result. It works a treat.

Attachments

• Microswitch.jpg
    Microswitch.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 291
  • shiftlight.jpg
    shiftlight.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 303