Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I buy one ?

Fzs1000n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW Bora 4motion 2.8 VR6 24V
now that's pure class

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Price for performance wise, small forced induction are pretty good. Drive for lower (tested...) emissions have driven engine sizes down so if a new driver wants a vaguely new car, it will likely be turbo'd.

Plus a lot of people like the increased torque of a FI engine, arguably gives a bigger seat of your pants feeling over NA.

Not me though, mainly as they sound terrible (farty exhausts plus vacuum cleaner) and can't rev. Give me a good NA engine any day of the week.

Yeah the price v performance thing I've never given much thought because I've never shopped for a new car.

The bit that confounds me is that the 'tech' itself seems to be the appeal of an engine to some people, rather than an engine's actual ability. I know a few guys that would much rather a 2.0 turbo 4cyl making 300hp than anything else making 300hp -V6, V8 etc. In their eyes the turbo (and more cams) is more technically advanced, ie better. That's actually how they think. Case in point; mate's Subaru 2.5 T has a tested 0-100km/h time of 6.5secs. He always talks about a race with my SS... I show him plenty of tests where the SS does a 5.3-5.7sec time, but he says "yeah but once turbo kicks in it'll be a different story in a race..."

That's literally how they think :)