Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should i fix my wagon or leave her for dead

Mel_civilbitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Vy 3.8L v6
Hi all would appreciate advice as to if i should bother fixing my beast. I have a 2003 vy wagon at around 318,000km's

Cant really afford a mechanic so will be doing the work myself.

I have oil in my coolant, has been running rather fine like that for a while with only busting hoses and now the radatior, so without a compression test i cant afford . Ive narrowed it down to the LIM gasket in need of replacement.

Before i start i want to know if its worth doing , how much more with i get out of the car at such high k's ?

So to my knowledge and damage done so far, i need to replace LIM gaskets, thermostat an gasket, radatior, water pump , possibly heater tap

Advice on if im wasting my time and $, would be greatly appreciated :)

Mel_civilbitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Vy 3.8L v6
I don't have any other symptoms of a blown head gasket, it never over heats and considering ive been running it with this problem for a year or more im guessing... If it was the head gasket by now id have coolant in my oil also. Wich i dont , so 95% sure it has to be from intake manifold

Just dont know if its worth while to fix all of this

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I don't have any other symptoms of a blown head gasket, it never over heats and considering ive been running it with this problem for a year or more im guessing... If it was the head gasket by now id have coolant in my oil also. Wich i dont , so 95% sure it has to be from intake manifold

Just dont know if its worth while to fix all of this
Where are you in Melbourne?

I'm in Geelong, if your not to far from me, l can come & have a look, if you like?

As @lout has said, what's another car going to cost, & how much to fix it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
For the cost of a LIM gasket set, RTV sealant, coolant and oil for around $250, it would be worth giving it a go and see if that fixes it. Personally I'd compression test it first before spending $250 on parts and fluids to do the LIM gaskets but I have the tools to do that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the pump is not leaking, I wouldn't replace it. New ones won't last anywhere near the time a gen pump will if looked after. Thermostat, is worth swapping while your there That will only add $20 to the bill. Unless the heater is not working I see no point replacing the heater tap at this stage.

You already have a long list of parts you need, now I've gone back and checked. You should do a comp test before spending $500 on what you need to fix it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The other advantage of doing a comp test is it's a good chance to get an idea on general health of the engine. If the comps are low or inconsistent it may not be worth dropping $500 in parts fixing it up.

Mel_civilbitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Vy 3.8L v6
Where are you in Melbourne?

I'm in Geelong, if your not to far from me, l can come & have a look, if you like?

As @lout has said, what's another car going to cost, & how much to fix it?
Yeh melb west suburbs, kings park

New car, is more than i can afford lol .... Very keen to fix it if u guys think i can get another 100+ ks out of it !!

I Started today , didn't get far as had to go get a fuel line tool. Will try an do some done during the week after work.

So yeah if ur keen to have a look, will have a full crack at it again on the weeknd if ur free then