Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

should i port my box?

10oxr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
just wondering if anyone can help, i have a pioneer champion series 10" sub i believe it 350rms, it is in a pre made sealed box, should i port the box or not, would it make a deference and if so what size do i make it and were on the box is best
thanks

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Just pointing out, that its not as simple as cutting a hole in your existing box. You will need to make a bigger one, to the subs specs, then the size/length of the port will depend on the desired tuning frequency.
So, if you still want to do it we will need the model number of your sub

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Those subs do sound better in a ported box but as Philthy said, you will need to make the box bigger and use the correct length port.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Also depends if you mainly listen to rock/metal etc or dance, hiphop, techno etc etc

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Yes technically speaking different size and port length and calculations and all that do help, but i say just cut a hole and buy a 10 dollar 4 inch port and see if you like it. Then you can seal it back up again if you dont like it and try a different box. It will make a difference in being louder, ported boxes are more efficient and the sound will be different. Only you can decide if it sounds better. The only place i would advise not making the port is directly behind the subwoofer. You shouldnt be able to see the woofer at all by looking into the port.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
A random port could be tuned to any frequency... It could be tuned to 50Hz and then he'll have no low bass. How is that going to let him assess if he likes ported? Of course it'll sound **** if he doesn't put any effort into designing it.

Do it properly the first time.

The specs of those subs indicate that it suits a ported enclosure better than sealed, so music genre doesn't really matter.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
How do you tell if a sub is better suited to ported or sealed? I remember reading it somewhere a while back, it had something to do with one of the subs specs but I can't remember which one.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Borrowing this from another forum somewhere.
Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP)
EBP = Fs / Qes
50 or less = best used in a sealed enclosure.
50 - 90 = flexible enclosure options.
90 or greater = best used in ported enclosure.
-OR-
Qts < 0.30 - ported
Qts = 0.30 - 0.50, use ported or sealed.
Qts > 0.50 sealed
That's just a general guide. Some subs with high Qts and high Xmax can still suit large ported enclosures.

2Com

$$$ talks Bullshit walks
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I Inverted my subs and I got double the bass......try that before cutting holes into your box

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
How the hell would inverting it double your bass?