Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should my car lay rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
My VY SS hasn't had an edit tune and it ALWAYS gets some form of wheelspin when I plonk it off the mark.

It depends on the road surface etc but it varies from a few (half a dozen or so) little chirps off the mark to full on bellowing smoke. That's without using the brake to assist...

Aryashahin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais supercharged V6
wheele spin

i own a supercharged calais V6.. and i do get wheel spins.. big ones too. :D
with no TC on:w00t:

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Theres barely any difference in weight between the ute and sedan. The SV8 struggles to lay rubber because of the tune, but down low the 6's are reasonably torquey as well.

305 Nm @3600rpm V6
460 Nm @4400rpm Gen 3

Stock standard torque and more with mods+tune

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
so the weight distribution over the back wheels on a ute is very similar to the sedan?
overall weight yeh, i thought theyd be the same, but rear wheels theres not much to it over a ute???
same goes for wagons?????

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
so the weight distribution over the back wheels on a ute is very similar to the sedan?
overall weight yeh, i thought theyd be the same, but rear wheels theres not much to it over a ute???
same goes for wagons?????

Lets use the VR range as an example.

A VR sedan weighs 1362kg, a VR ute 1354kg.

The sedan weighs only 8kg more than the ute which is the only difference the rear would have.

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
well there you go.
either way my 6 has no trouble wasting tyres

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
Utes, sedans and wagon's, in theory with the weight of the car it shouldnt make a difference, but what we are talking about here, is weight over the rear wheels, eg past the wheels, to the rear of the car. In practical there is a big difference.

As mentioned in previous post above taking of in first gear? Just to clear something up for some, when u always take off eg from a set of traffic lights, u always take of in first gear anyway.

25hp isnt much of a gain at all, every tune on a LS1 ive done is on average 30-40rwkw gain......but there is tuners and then there is tuners...can post many dyno figures if needed.

ok two things are at fault with why the car, wont peel the skin of a bannana, in the factory tune, there are many adjustments which eg PE mode gets Enabled in the factory tune is extreamly rich, hence robbing horsepower. and also the poor factory tune quality down low, eg 1500-2000rpm range.

As some of u have mentioned above that after a tune there wasnt much difference, this depends on tuner to tuner........

I hope this information helps.

Cheers

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
enhancedss said:
As some of u have mentioned above that after a tune there wasnt much difference, this depends on tuner to tuner........

LOL! I don't think your car would have too much trouble laying rubber Brad...

...(in third gear! ;))

Last edited:

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
25hp isnt much of a gain at all, every tune on a LS1 ive done is on average 30-40rwkw gain....can post many dyno figures if needed.
I don't want to side-track this thread, but do you think 205rwkw is low for a stock standard auto SV8 with a tune? (Shootout mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.