Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shudder in throttle

Mcmalliss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 commodore V6 AWD ZB
Hey guys! I'm having a problem with my 2018 V6 ZB commodore and wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so, have they managed to find the issue and fix it?

Certain times when driving my car hits some sort of shuddering, it almost feels like a cylinder drops, I either let off the accelerator or put my foot down further to stop the shuddering, my car has thrown the code P0014 a couple of times, I've been to a mechanic and they have flushed both the diff and trans but it didn't change anything, they suspect a stretched timing chain which is looking at 2.5-3k so I'm checking around before I go do that incase it doesn't fix it

Cheers!

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I might be wrong but I thought the timing chain issues had been pretty well eliminated in the later variants of this engine.

I'd be hesitant to rush into replacing the timing chain.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
stretched chain on a LGX is not common but you never know.

the LLT was the problematic donk for chains which gave rise to a popular myth that all gm 3.6l engines have bad chains but the issue was corrected with the LFX.
not saying you wont get chain issues but many people jump onto the conspiracy bus for no good reason, the windows probably taste good.

i would take it for some other opinions because p0014 does not necessarily mean stretched chain, it could be a dodgy sensor.

Mcmalliss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 commodore V6 AWD ZB
This mechanic I took my car to said its the first one they have had in the shop so a second or third opinion is probably my next move.
I haven't read much on Camshaft Position sensors going bad but might be worth getting a new one just to see if it makes a difference, get some cheap options out the way and see if it makes a difference?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
how is the servicing history
particularly oil changes with quality oil

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
DuckDuckGo reckons: Camshaft exhaust advance timing threshold exceeded bank 1.
Possibly...
  • The camshaft’s timing is incorrect
  • The valve control solenoid has failed and is stuck open
  • The valve control solenoid system’s wiring is faulty or damaged
  • The oil flow to/from the camshaft phasers is restrictive

Mcmalliss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 commodore V6 AWD ZB
As far as servicing goes, it was ex-police car so servicing has been on point to date with all services recorded and signed off.

Come to think of it, it only started getting worse after the last service, is particular oil in the ZB's a problem? I know it says 5w 30 on the cap, if they were to use something else would it give me any sort of engine problem??

DuckDuckGo reckons: Camshaft exhaust advance timing threshold exceeded bank 1.
Possibly...
  • The camshaft’s timing is incorrect
  • The valve control solenoid has failed and is stuck open
  • The valve control solenoid system’s wiring is faulty or damaged
  • The oil flow to/from the camshaft phasers is restrictive
Buying a new Camshaft Position sensor first? Then Replace any solinoids that could be causing it? Check wiring to solinoids? I might check these options soon and see if it helps.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Find out why it's giving the fault that denotes an advanced exhaust cam time exceeding the maximum parameters. At least I would, or pay someone to, before buying random parts to throw at it.
Is the timing actually out, or is there a false positive from an electrical issue? Or if it is a genuine fault is it electrical or mechanical? In which component(s)? Constant or intermittent?