Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Skappa's Wagon

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Good work skappa. Have you done the rest of the car ?

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Nice work, bonnet looks the goods

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Only done the bonnet and one rear 1/4 panel, the clay bar went all grey and crap then it rolled off the bonnet onto the ground, oops :p
I'll have to buy one some time next week and some cutting compound, then invest into a buffer from Car Care Products :)

Sent via iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Didn't your kit have the compound in it ?

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
It had bottle of wax, bottle of polish, 2 microfibre cloths, 2 applicator foam pads, small clay bar and a spray bottle of quik detailer which I was told to use as the lubricant for the clay, I think it's called ultimate compound that was in the kit, I'll look when I get home.

Sent via iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Here's an update, done the drivers side rocker cover gasket yesterday (may have seen the thread I made about torque specs for the bolts) all is well and done!

Here is a pic of where the leak was, straight after I took the rocker cover off, it was damn big!
img1151me.jpg

Baked on carbon and crap, nom!
img1152ql.jpg

Filthy rockers, I suspect the previous owner was telling porkies when he said the engine was "nice and fresh" since it replaced the original engine, might have to investigate with Holden on that one...
img1149lv.jpg

At least there's no more burning oil smell after driving :)
Thanks for looking!

Wow. Looks like previous owner didnt look after it at all. If it were me on a long weekend or something i would be pulling that top end apart and doing some serious cleaning before that causes more damage. My Ute has done over 338,000ks (before the odo stopped working) and still original engine and it was nice and clean on the inside. Dont have a pic of inside rocker cover but you can see rockers are clean and no scrubbing or anything just a quick spray of degreaser in second pic. Not trying to criticise or anything just showing how it should look. A weekends work could save you alot of trouble down the road.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers
James

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Hey James, that's one clean engine you've got!
Funny thing is, it's not even the original engine, this one is from a '97 VS Sedan and I don't know how many ks it had on or when it went in, what I find funny is that a mechanic owned the car before me.
I'd like to pull the whole top end off sometime and give it a nice clean, but work gives me no time as I still get called in on most of my days off.
Soon enough it will happen and I'll replace the LIM gaskets and head gaskets too.

Thanks for your input though James! :)

shagaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute ecotec
hey dude keep it up, :) good to see progress, what's clay barring, an can you give me some tips an products on polishing the car I tried an no results an yours seem o come out nice

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Hey shagaz, it was my first time attempting polishing and I think it turned out okay.
I bought a Meguiar's Paint Restoration kit and it had all you need, though there are many better products out there :)
Head over to Car Care Products (forum sponsor) and check out their video library HERE, it will show you a lot of info, even PM or email them maybe and have a chat!

shagaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute ecotec
Hey shagaz, it was my first time attempting polishing and I think it turned out okay.
I bought a Meguiar's Paint Restoration kit and it had all you need, though there are many better products out there :)
Head over to Car Care Products (forum sponsor) and check out their video library HERE, it will show you a lot of info, even PM or email them maybe and have a chat!

awesome man thanks heaps, keep the updates coming :)
I just did my whole motor on my ute, new gaskets through out runs a lot happier now an it's so clean now in person :)
I got photos of the steps not to detailed though in my thread if ya want any tips or anything gives a yell :)