Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Skylines

1986-1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais turbo - 5.7L vu ute
If you look back to the tour car days they pretty much speak for themselves but as far as compareing them to a commodore goes thats abit stupid, one being a fair powerful car built to kart around mum dad and the kids and the other far from it. but if i had to personally id drive a 31 over a vn ss, a 32 over anything up to a vr ss, id probly go the vt ss over the 33 and as for the 34 it looks like a new 31 witch is a shoebox.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
If you look back to the tour car days they pretty much speak for themselves but as far as compareing them to a commodore goes thats abit stupid, one being a fair powerful car built to kart around mum dad and the kids and the other far from it. but if i had to personally id drive a 31 over a vn ss, a 32 over anything up to a vr ss, id probly go the vt ss over the 33 and as for the 34 it looks like a new 31 witch is a shoebox.

Interesting. Even though I love 80's nissan coupes, I would choose the VN SS over the R31. R32 wins over 90's commodores, Skip the 33, R34 until VE. Of course I would only choose a skyline over a V8 or HSV if it was a GTR.

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
in japan the skyline carted around mum dad and the kids , hows that any different to the commodore over here?thats their version , simple.diffrent strokes for diffrent fokes and its being compared here in this forum as it was on the track , production car ,,

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
exactly.
The 34GTR was around $150k when it was released. They still fetch as much as a VZ SS. They're in no way a comparative to a new HSV.
The GTS-T is, and falls WELL short of any equivilent SS or HSV.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

Plenty of jap cars are built for families too. The nissan silvia was designed for older women, but that doesn't stop young guys trying to drift them

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
in japan the skyline carted around mum dad and the kids , hows that any different to the commodore over here?thats their version , simple.diffrent strokes for diffrent fokes and its being compared here in this forum as it was on the track , production car ,,

Skylines in oz cant cart around more than 2 because the place is full of fat bastards.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Plenty of jap cars are built for families too. The nissan silvia was designed for older women, but that doesn't stop young guys trying to drift them

The ca180de model was designed for older women, the sr20det model was designed as a sports cars, 153kw and 274nm in a 2L four in 1991. In the S13 model, Nissan Japan noticed young guys liked to drift 180sxs and replace the front with the silvia as they are cheaper, so they released a special drift inspired package with consisted of a 180sx with the silvia front end.

There are a lot of jap family cars, and big four doors as well, even though there were a few 4 door base spec skylines for the family, I really doubt that the market for skylines was originally family oriented. After all, the 90's was the japanese high performance era, just like the 70's was for muscle cars in america.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
The ca180de model was designed for older women, the sr20det model was designed as a sports cars, 153kw and 274nm in a 2L four in 1991. In the S13 model, Nissan Japan noticed young guys liked to drift 180sxs and replace the front with the silvia as they are cheaper, so they released a special drift inspired package with consisted of a 180sx with the silvia front end.

There are a lot of jap family cars, and big four doors as well, even though there were a few 4 door base spec skylines for the family, I really doubt that the market for skylines was originally family oriented. After all, the 90's was the japanese high performance era, just like the 70's was for muscle cars in america.

No I was actually referring to the 200sx. I highly doubt car companies are building cars with young drifters as their main target.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Nissan Japan released a special drift inspired package with consisted of a 180sx with the silvia front end.

the sil80... wasnt that autech released? pretty sure nissan didnt do it. autech are like HSV they take cars and make them much better, for example the biggest donk the stagea came out with a RB25det NEO in its AWD form, but autech went... nah... lets just stick the entire running gear from a 34 GTR in there, yeah stick the YAW in, stick that attessa crap in, stick it all in... which made a cool car. (if somewhat ugly)

edit* this one:
Nissan_Stagea_Autech.jpg

you would never know he was rocking' a 13 second car :D

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
No I was actually referring to the 200sx. I highly doubt car companies are building cars with young drifters as their main target.

Still, the 200sx is a Silvia in japan, and a lot came out here with the SR20det engine as well, I believe it was aimed as a sports car, Well I know the S15 model was coz I remember when that came out it was to compete with the type r integra.

Doesn't stop middle aged women from buying one though, same deal as the celica I reckon, they just don't realise it's potential.

They weren't cheap here either when they were new, and they seemed to hold value better than other cars so it took a bit of time to filter down to the young guys.

the sil80... wasnt that autech released? pretty sure nissan didnt do it.

You are probably right I knew someone in japan did it, but couldnt be stuffed trying to find it. lazy day.

Those RB26dett stageas are probably the greatest sleepers ever made.