Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I'm abandoning the Commodore family...

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Mitsubishi cars and 4x4s are, and have been for a long time, very underrated vehicles. Yes they have their problems(what doesnt)
You should enjoy it a lot.

I did seriously look at a Mitsubishi 380 a few years ago , was a good car , kind of wish i'd gone ahead with it .

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Yes, it's definitely more just the fact that it's a Mitsubishi, than being any actual quantifiable reason to bag it :).

With all that aside, I enjoy driving it, it's the right size for my needs, and while I don't need a serious off-roader, it's nice to have a vehicle that is more capable than many others for if I ever get into a tight spot. I'm not so sure if the claimed fuel economy is as good as the real world economy, as I do a lot of freeway driving and I don't think it's going to be as good as they claim - but I'll know for sure when I fill up later this week.

But it really does tick all the boxes for me, so I'm very pleased. Plus it's much perkier than the VX was in a V6, and it's nice having all that torque around 2000rpm too.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
A mate of mine, who is a one eyed Ford nut, just bought a very tidy 380 Mitso, and says its one of the best cars he has had, and he has had a few.
I like my Pajeros.

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
Don't feel too bad about leaving Holden. In the end they have shown their true colours in that they really don't care for us, all the Aussie Pride marketing stuff were lies to sell cars. Even the VE was 50% imported parts, yet marketed as the first true aussie commodore because they couldn't rebadge an Opel design anymore.

Even the "Football, meat pies..." jingle was a rewording of a Chevy ad (baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chev-ro-let). They betrayed us, and I've a right mind to sell my VZ, an action I'm sure will have the CEO of Holden crying into his gold plated teacups.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo GXP
Dont quite understand the venomous hatred for Holden ceasing local manufacturing. They're losing money, Australia's overpriced, in the middle of nowhere and is a small market. Any smart business would stop the bleeding.

And for all the export the Commodore ideas; why? Its not like the Commodore is the only RWD, 4 door car in the world and GM have a huge stable of cars to pick from.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dont quite understand the venomous hatred for Holden ceasing local manufacturing. They're losing money, Australia's overpriced, in the middle of nowhere and is a small market. Any smart business would stop the bleeding.

And for all the export the Commodore ideas; why? Its not like the Commodore is the only RWD, 4 door car in the world and GM have a huge stable of cars to pick from.

^^ well said that man .

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Personally don't feel any "venemous hatred". However, at this stage haven't seen anything in their future product line that I would buy. I suspect they will become one of the very small players in the Australian market after the demise of The current Commodore.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Personally don't feel any "venemous hatred". However, at this stage haven't seen anything in their future product line that I would buy. I suspect they will become one of the very small players in the Australian market after the demise of The current Commodore.

One I might consider , with a gun to my head is the Insignia VRX , and if I was in that market the Colorado .

R

Risky

In a few years to come after local manufacturing has ceased, young drivers will be chasing after their first car. Like us when we were younger, we chased after Commodores & Falcons as parts were cheap & easier to repair than Euro/Jap cars. Most of us learnt how to service & fix Commodores & Falcons. Yes I agree that all cars have their faults & even new ones suffer as well. The younger drivers of tomorrow will end up buying cheap 2nd hand buzzboxes that come from China/India/Thailand that have poor safety & scare spare parts or Euro cars that need a 2nd mortgage for parts. By the time our Commodores & Falcons will be available to them, they'll be classic cars & parts will be harder to source.

Years ago the family Commodores & Falcons towing caravans on yearly holidays were the go as they were long distance cruisers. These days it's cheaper to fly than drive to your holiday destination. The poor conditions on most of our roads have the need for an SUV for a better longevity on the suspension systems. At least when we manufactured here that Holden, Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Chrysler & British Leyland produced cars suitable for the environment we live in (please don't start any arguments over the marques that have come & gone over the years). If you think that the local car makers have been ripping us off by taking taxpayers money, think again. The German govt give money to the likes of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche & the Volkswagen Group for decades even though they turn good profits.

I've owned Holdens new & old (VL wagon was the worst), I've driven Fords as company cars (crap imo), old Datsuns, new Suzukis & even a VH Valiant Ranger. I've bought them at times that were suited to my life at those times. Families get larger, you need a large car/SUV/People Carrier, when kids start leaving, you look at other types of cars etc to suit. The only hope I have after local production ceases is that we get a decent crop of good vehicles.