Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Something to think about.............

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
You ask many a ford fan and they say AU styling was ahead of the times and they'll say that's why it failed

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
An AUII Fairmont Ghia with lower suspension, glitz and bling, and bigger wheels looks ok.......however.......resale would be just awful......AU1 Forte just looked plain odd.

That being said, VT/VX of same period easily trumps it in terms of refinement, styling, dynamics etc.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The guy who was responsible for the AU styling was Ian Park. I can recall in a motor magazine, just after the VT Commodore was released, Park was interviewed about the forthcoming AU Falcon. He said he admired the VT shape but couldn't wait to see the market reaction when the AU was released. The impression he gave was that the AU was going to belt the Commodore with its New Edge styling.

Umm, not quite, Ian......

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
You ask many a ford fan and they say AU styling was ahead of the times and they'll say that's why it failed

And they'd be right. The proof is in the OP.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
Say what you will about the AU, my old man has owned taxis for 28 years, he is a Holden man but has always run Falcons as cabs, he had 2 AU's that had anywhere from 700,000 to 1,000,000 kms on them before he replaced them, those things gave him very minimal trouble over the years. I do agree they are ugly as sin, every Falcon between XE and FG was a hideous piece of poo imo.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
They were a disaster. Had an au Fairmont ghia. Problem after problem. Sold it with 90k because we were sick of it living at the dealer.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Say what you will about the AU, my old man has owned taxis for 28 years, he is a Holden man but has always run Falcons as cabs, he had 2 AU's that had anywhere from 700,000 to 1,000,000 kms on them before he replaced them, those things gave him very minimal trouble over the years. I do agree they are ugly as sin, every Falcon between XE and FG was a hideous piece of poo imo.

Lucky man. Most of the cab companies I did work for in the late 90's (Radelaide), stuck with the EF/L until the BA because of the issues they had with the AU. Some even switched over to the VT.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I reckon the AU Series 3 XRs looked pretty sweet.

Agreed, they were a good looking car.

As said above, they were too ahead of their time.....that was the demise of the AU