Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sound 'deadener'

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Sorry guys to bring up a oldish thread.
By the reading I've done ... it seems like Dynamat is still the way to go?
I was wondering... does anyone have a picture of their door with dynamat? I kinda don't know what needs to be done. I want to dynamat the doors ... but on the dynamat door pack it just shows the surrounding of the speaker from memory and tats it... is tat all you need? or do you do the full door?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Sorry guys to bring up a oldish thread.
By the reading I've done ... it seems like Dynamat is still the way to go?
I was wondering... does anyone have a picture of their door with dynamat? I kinda don't know what needs to be done. I want to dynamat the doors ... but on the dynamat door pack it just shows the surrounding of the speaker from memory and tats it... is tat all you need? or do you do the full door?

I did have a photo of my old vt door half finished, I never got around to sealing up the service holes. Ill try find it. Basically just do the parts that you think will resonate, I think I did most of the outer door skin but didnt go overboard as it was already quite rigid. Inner door skin I pretty much covered completely.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I did have a photo of my old vt door half finished, I never got around to sealing up the service holes. Ill try find it. Basically just do the parts that you think will resonate, I think I did most of the outer door skin but didnt go overboard as it was already quite rigid. Inner door skin I pretty much covered completely.

What do you mean inner and outter?? inner you mean the surface facing your windows (if down)?? if it is how you manage that? I've never dynamated before ... and im sure audio installers will charge an arm.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
O crap .... dynamat actually has instructions on the net to see what to do... and I see what you mean and I was kinda hoping thats not what you mean .... it seems like a mission!! I've got a VS and theres not a lot of holes to work thru to get the dynamat in.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
What do you mean inner and outter?? inner you mean the surface facing your windows (if down)?? if it is how you manage that? I've never dynamated before ... and im sure audio installers will charge an arm.

Outer as in the other side of the metal is outside the car, inner as in the door trim sits on it. Doing the outer skin means alot of manoeuvring through the service holes and a lot of cuts on the hands from the power window stuff, but it can be done. Oh yea, get yourself a heat gun, a stanley knife and a small paint roller too.

Edit: Also get some kind of powerful cleaning fluid as the inside of the door will be absolutely filthy and needs to be spotless for the deadener to stick.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Outer as in the other side of the metal is outside the car, inner as in the door trim sits on it. Doing the outer skin means alot of manoeuvring through the service holes and a lot of cuts on the hands from the power window stuff, but it can be done. Oh yea, get yourself a heat gun, a stanley knife and a small paint roller too.

Edit: Also get some kind of powerful cleaning fluid as the inside of the door will be absolutely filthy and needs to be spotless for the deadener to stick.

Hi Bezz, have you put dynamat in the doors before? did you find it easy enough or quite difficult? is dynamat a easy to use material or could it get messy real fast? trying to decide If I should do it myself or if I should get Alberts to do it, I dont know if they'll do a good job of it or not.. I don't want short-cuts.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Hi Bezz, have you put dynamat in the doors before? did you find it easy enough or quite difficult? is dynamat a easy to use material or could it get messy real fast? trying to decide If I should do it myself or if I should get Alberts to do it, I dont know if they'll do a good job of it or not.. I don't want short-cuts.

Its not too hard, just time consuming. Just apply small amounts at first, heat it up well and roll it as flat as possible. Its easy as once you get the hang of it.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
while the thread it up, just wondering how you seal up the holes in the doors with MDF?
Thanks.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
cut to size, cover with paint or something similar to seal and waterproof the mdf, gaffer onto door and deaden over. rinse and repeat.