Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sound....

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Cutting steel in the parcel shelf to make them fit will make the car unroadworthy, but if you have a new MDF parcel shelf constructed you can mount 6x9's.

V

vrBLKWAG

Hey mate I was in the same situation as you were I listen to the same music you do and the setup I have is good splits in the front, 6 inch co-axles running off the head unit and a 12 inch sub and you will be fine. Doesnt sound tinny at all especialy with rise againt. Just a 4 channel amp running the splits and the sub.
Happy hunting

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
Coaxial, not co-axle. It means to have a common axis.

Sorry for the spelling nazi approach, just helps when people are searching for something to know exactly what they're searching for.

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
dlzn said:
you cant put 6x9s in a VS. it becomes unroadworthy, or so ive been told.
i would look into it before you mess up the parcel shelf.

as for system, 4ch amp running front splits and 12" sub. rear 6/6.5" running off deck

I like your idea, with the amp runin the front splits and sub, then the rest off the deck.

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
I’d ask yourself if you really need a sub. Good quality 6x9’s and splits can put out a fair amount of bass if you power them properly (i.e. 100W rms each). As you listen to punk this could be suitable to you.

It’s something to think about. It could lower the cost of your system and give you your boot space back.

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
Punk actually sounds rather pathetic with a sub.

The only other speaker I would consider instead of the 6 x 9 inch speakers would be 8 inch subwoofers.

They are extremely punchy and generally don't have the overwhelming sustained bass that you get with larger subwoofers. If you go larger than this, you will find that the quality of the music decreases because you lose the balance of treble and bass which is extremely important in punk rock.

brenz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Yeah that's true but its not impossible to control the amount of bass your getting out of the sub, there is gain controls on the amp so you can tune it down to your liking and most headunits can tune the sub down without loosing bass in your 6x9's. If i was you i would go for the 6" front splits, 6x9's and a 10" sub if punk is all you will be listening to, your prob better off just getting the 12" sub and turning down the bass if you ever decide to listen to your music wif extra bass, the sub will define the bass lines and the drum kicks but if its too loud it will over power your speakers so thats why i recommended tuning it down. If your planning on pumping it get yourself a 4 channel amp for your speakers and a cheap mono block will do you more than fine.

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
Don't see the point in investing in a large subwoofer if you're just going to reduce the bass output.

If you're after low/mid frequency output with alot of punch, stick with the 6 x 9 or 8 inch speakers. Going larger than this is unnecessary, you're really just paying more for traits you don't intend on using. Punk is very much about speed, punch and treble. Bass plays a very small role in this genre of music. Setting up a sound system to produce alot of bass will totally ruin the core aspect of the genre.

I wouldn't buy a V8 if I was after fuel economy, and I wouldn't buy a 12 inch subwoofer if I was after higher frequency punch without sustained bass. Bigger isn't always better, choose to suit.

I think alot of people are missing this philosophy in their audio setup approach these days. Sound quality is more than just massive bass output, there has to be balance. Getting a 12, 15 or 18 inch subwoofer just because you can is ridiculous, if it doesn't suit the music you listen to, or you're just going to turn it down, then you're only making yourself look like a fool with too much money and no sense. I find that larger subwoofers are not responsive enough to keep up with the ridiculous speed that alot of punk bands play at. The bass becomes smothering and it loses all definition. Stick with the mid/high frequencies and you'll find the music sounds alot better.

Sorry for the long-winded opinion, hope you all don't mind the ranting.

K

kon_VP

man get yourself a nice head unit, 6" for the front an rears, an a 12" sub and 2 amps to power it all, i listen to punk and that all ive got an it sounds great

an did u hear about the pennywise australian tour being cancelled F UCK!

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
CRAP did it get cancelled!!!!!!!! DAM IT!!!!!!! well thanks for all your in-puts guys youve been a big help :D i guess the idea of the 8" subs is a good idea because as it has already been said punk doesnt have that much base about it so they should do the job. i'll get 2 x 6" splits up front, 2 x 6" in the back. have the Splits and subs runnin off the amp. and the 2 6"s in the back runnin of the head unit..... how does that sound????