Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sourcing a right hand catalytic converter

Tobyy42

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series 2
So I’ve had a p0420 code on my 2011 VE S2 for a while and have confirmed using the temperature test that my bank 1 cat is indeed faulty. I’ve been quoted $1,200 (item alone) for a new one and am wanting to do research on if I can get one for cheaper than what the mechanic is saying.

I’m looking on Google and it’s very confusing as they all have different shapes and fittings despite saying they fit my vehicle.

Is anyone able to point me to a decent but cheaper than $1200 right hand catalytic converter that will definitely fit my 2011 VE S2?

Let me know if more details are needed. Thank you all.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Weld in a straight bit of pipe and then write on it "I identify as a catalytic converter".

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
have you tried the wreckers for a low km car

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Exhaust shops can normally replace cats with aftermarket ones for a lot less than the genuine one.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
So I’ve had a p0420 code on my 2011 VE S2 for a while and have confirmed using the temperature test that my bank 1 cat is indeed faulty. I’ve been quoted $1,200 (item alone) for a new one and am wanting to do research on if I can get one for cheaper than what the mechanic is saying.

I’m looking on Google and it’s very confusing as they all have different shapes and fittings despite saying they fit my vehicle.

Is anyone able to point me to a decent but cheaper than $1200 right hand catalytic converter that will definitely fit my 2011 VE S2?

Let me know if more details are needed. Thank you all.
Assuming it is a V6 if it is a 2012 model it has a LFW or a LFX you would need to check that against your vehicle ident plate near the air cleaner.
So if it is a LFW or LFX then you can even use cats of a VF.
Here is a set left & right for $600 delivered and low km.
I would buy both sides as if one has gone the other is sure to follow and change them yourself they take about 30 minutes for each side.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d suggest replacing mufflers to because if the cat has collapsed, you can bet bits of it have gone through the system and lodged in the mufflers.

Tobyy42

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series 2
Assuming it is a V6 if it is a 2012 model it has a LFW or a LFX you would need to check that against your vehicle ident plate near the air cleaner.
So if it is a LFW or LFX then you can even use cats of a VF.
Here is a set left & right for $600 delivered and low km.
I would buy both sides as if one has gone the other is sure to follow and change them yourself they take about 30 minutes for each side.
[/URL]
Thanks for this. I defeinitely wouldn't have the knowledge or gear required to do it myself, and the mechanic said they wouldn't fit a used one for me as its too "risky for them"

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for this. I defeinitely wouldn't have the knowledge or gear required to do it myself, and the mechanic said they wouldn't fit a used one for me as its too "risky for them"
Get a new mechanic mate because those guys are just looking to fill their pockets.
Call their bluff and take it elsewhere and give them a piece of your mind at the same time.
I HATE mechanics with that attitude they are just pond scum.
What area do you live in because maybe a member could give you a hand as it is not a hard job and not worth paying those bastard mechanics a cent.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Get a new mechanic mate because those guys are just looking to fill their pockets.
Call their bluff and take it elsewhere and give them a piece of your mind at the same time.
I HATE mechanics with that attitude they are just pond scum.
What area do you live in because maybe a member could give you a hand as it is not a hard job and not worth paying those bastard mechanics a cent.
They won’t fit a used one because they are held liable for the repair under Australian consumer law. A lot of mechanics won’t fit anything they didn’t source themselves now as any warranty issue becomes “he said she said”.

I had enough difficulty finding a mechanic to fit a genuine NOS clutch to my SSV purely because I sourced it myself. Most mechanics don’t want to deal with any potential warranty issues and would rather have guaranteed warranty from their regular parts supplier who they buy thousands of dollars worth of parts from every month.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
They won’t fit a used one because they are held liable for the repair under Australian consumer law. A lot of mechanics won’t fit anything they didn’t source themselves now as any warranty issue becomes “he said she said”.

I had enough difficulty finding a mechanic to fit a genuine NOS clutch to my SSV purely because I sourced it myself. Most mechanics don’t want to deal with any potential warranty issues and would rather have guaranteed warranty from their regular parts supplier who they buy thousands of dollars worth of parts from every month.
Well maybe where you live but not around here.
Here they even source parts from wreckers or get you to go pick them up.
No warranty on used parts even under ACL unless offered by the seller so that blows that line out the water and all the mechanic would be liable for is not fitting it correctly and that would apply new or used.
I always tell people find a good mechanic and build a relationship and discuss problems and this sort of thing should never happen and I have known one of mine for over 30 years and the other over 20 and never had an issue fitting second hand parts where I couldn't do it myself.