Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sourcing a right hand catalytic converter

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wouldn't happen. End of story because we both know what to look for in a low km second hand unit.
But I know I would wear the full cost of labour because I elected to fit a second hand unit and that is my problem.
Now you might think I am just saying that, but that is because you don't know me or anything about me but I am one of the few who can live with my mistakes and problems.

Now tyre places still fit second hand tyres at least in SA they do, now you would think that would be more of a safety and liability issue even with the tyre place insurance company than fitting a second hand part.

See lots of double standards around and the whole world is filled with double standards you just have to separate the wheat from the chaff

So you are now assuming things.....

Some sell 2nd hand tyres fitted, but a lot won't for fear of them failing.ie liability...

Yes people do say they were the labour costs associated with fitting 2nd hand parts and alot back flip when those 2nd hand parts are shite, having a whinge at the mechanics for charging labour on those shite parts, hence why places refuse to fit them.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
So you are now assuming things.....

Some sell 2nd hand tyres fitted, but a lot won't for fear of them failing.ie liability...
What am I supposedly assuming?

Just about every tyre place in Adelaide sells second hand tyres and they have no problems with it and don't seem to concerned about the liability issues which amazes me.

We could argue all night about what some mechanics will do and what some won't but at the end of the day doesn't make any difference to you or I as we just do our own thing anyway.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What am I supposedly assuming?

Just about every tyre place in Adelaide sells second hand tyres and they have no problems with it and don't seem to concerned about the liability issues which amazes me.

We could argue all night about what some mechanics will do and what some won't but at the end of the day doesn't make any difference to you or I as we just do our own thing anyway.

Not the tyre joints I have worked at and know of and that is a fair few buddy

And yes, we could argue about mechanics and what they do.....It has been pointed out by a few why they won't fit 2nd hand parts and if you have someone that will, that's great for you....Unfortunately not everyone knows these sorts of mechanics and they are stuck with brand new supplied by their local mechanic

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
But I know I would wear the full cost of labour because I elected to fit a second hand unit and that is my problem.
Now you might think I am just saying that, but that is because you don't know me or anything about me but I am one of the few who can live with my mistakes and problems.
Thing is it’s not about you, it’s about the average mug out there who thinks they can push the responsibility for their actions onto someone else.

I got my own clutch, flywheel and engine mounts fitted to my car by the mechanic I found to do it and I can tell you now there’s no way I would throw him under the bus if something goes wrong, but there’s plenty of people who will.

Unfortunately there’s plenty of people out there that would try and stitch up their mechanic to put another secondhand or shite part on and its because of those people and their shitty actions that we get less and less trust in society that people will do the right thing.

The mechanic doesn’t trust the customer to provide their own parts once they have been screwed over by a customer who didn’t want to wear the responsibility for their own actions.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not the tyre joints I have worked at and know of and that is a fair few buddy
I know quite a few as well actually a lot and they all do. I don't know which part of Adelaide you come from but North and Western suburbs have not found one yet except for Beaurepairs and Bridgestone store fronts every other mug from Cluse to AAA tyres will sell and fit second hand tyres.
Quite a few advertise the actual fact all over the internet as well and have photos of all the second hand tyres they have LOL

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know quite a few as well actually a lot and they all do. I don't know which part of Adelaide you come from but North and Western suburbs have not found one yet except for Beaurepairs and Bridgestone store fronts every other mug from Cluse to AAA tyres will sell and fit second hand tyres.
Quite a few advertise the actual fact all over the internet as well and have photos of all the second hand tyres they have LOL

You do know Cluse Bros have a machine to check 2nd hand tyres? All their 2nd hand tyres go to one store, checked and distributed to through Terry Cluses 7 stores

There is also another 2 stores I am aware of that have a machine that checks them too

Then we go to stores that you haven't mentioned that don't stock them....Bob Jane, Non-Cluse Bros Tyrepower, Tyre right, Daves Discount, Metro, City Discount...There's start of Northern burb stores...Want more?

Oh and I am sorry...Plenty sell 2nd hand truck tyres....Some even do truck tyres that have been retreaded upto 5 times....So they'd be more than 2nd hand...Those are in the Northern burbs too

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
yDdnLV.gif

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
You do know Cluse Bros have a machine to check 2nd hand tyres? All their 2nd hand tyres go to one store, checked and distributed to through Terry Cluses 7 stores

There is also another 2 stores I am aware of that have a machine that checks them too

Then we go to stores that you haven't mentioned that don't stock them....Bob Jane, Non-Cluse Bros Tyrepower, Tyre right, Daves Discount, Metro, City Discount...There's start of Northern burb stores...Want more?

Oh and I am sorry...Plenty sell 2nd hand truck tyres....Some even do truck tyres that have been retreaded upto 5 times....So they'd be more than 2nd hand...Those are in the Northern burbs too
Bought them from a couple of shops you have mentioned (DD for one) and I guarantee they don't have a machine to test them they just fit and sell them.
So right there you are wrong.
I am talking passenger car tyres not trucks & buses that is something completely different.
You might work in the industry but the reality is far from what you are spruiking.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just found 12 places in 5 minutes in the Northern burbs selling second hand tyres all advertising on marketplace.
Go and have a look just type in second hand tyres and be amazed and I guarantee none have been checked.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Bought them from a couple of shops you have mentioned (DD for one) and I guarantee they don't have a machine to test them they just fit and sell them.
So right there you are wrong.
I am talking passenger car tyres not trucks & buses that is something completely different.
You might work in the industry but the reality is far from what you are spruiking.

You can guarantee they don't Will leave it right there...