Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sourcing a right hand catalytic converter

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Well maybe where you live but not around here.
Here they even source parts from wreckers or get you to go pick them up.
No warranty on used parts even under ACL unless offered by the seller so that blows that line out the water and all the mechanic would be liable for is not fitting it correctly and that would apply new or used.
I always tell people find a good mechanic and build a relationship and discuss problems and this sort of thing should never happen and I have known one of mine for over 30 years and the other over 20 and never had an issue fitting second hand parts where I couldn't do it myself.
If you have an existing relationship with the mechanic it probably goes a long way. Personally I’ve done everything myself up until recently so it’s not really been an option I’ve had.

The ACL argument is probably spurious to be sure but I can sort of see their point. One shop I talked to said they got stitched up for $15k because one of their customers bought their own part (presumably an engine or gearbox) and the replacement failed.

Apparently a shitfight ensued between the part supplier, who blamed the mechanic of course, and the mechanic who said it was a fault with the part. Apparently the mechanic was held responsible under ACL as they completed the repair and handed the serviceable car back to the customer and thus had to make it serviceable again (I’m paraphrasing). I don’t see any reason they would bullshit me as they were literally explaining why they wouldn’t take my money!

It really is stupid IMO as the onus should be on whoever provided the parts but because no one is honest these days and will say any bullshit they can to get out of everything your basically getting zero warranty if you provide parts to a mechanic to fit or your fitting them yourself as the first thing the parts supplier is going to do is say “installation error” regardless of if it is or not to get out of paying for the replacement.

At least when the mechanic installs parts they supply that come from their regular parts supplier the parts supplier isn’t going to pull the “installation error” bullshit as they won’t be getting, say $20k per month in spare parts orders from that mechanic anymore!

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
If you have an existing relationship with the mechanic it probably goes a long way. Personally I’ve done everything myself up until recently so it’s not really been an option I’ve had.
I think having a relationship with a good mechanic is a positive step even though I do 99% of stuff myself and still do a lot even in my late 60's through the years I have not had time or really just did not want to do it I would get the guys to do it.

But the OP should say where he is at in case someone can help him as changing those cats is not a hard job and not worth buying new if you can get low km parts.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Most of the time that catalyst fault on a S2 is caused by a bad O2 sensor either before or after the cat not because of the converter itself.

I'd put money on it being an O2 sensor or the ECU hasn't had the P0420/0430 software update, the series 2 ECU's were known to be very very very picky about O2 readings, the second those sensors start to wear even slightly it'll throw that code.

O2's are a lot cheaper than Cats.

Theres also a software update from Holden for 2010 and 2011 VE's that relaxes the O2 tollerances, mine had the same code and it was fixed with the update.

According to the dealer bulletin it was: "Standard Calibration/Service fix for P0420/P0430"

It's very very unlikely to be the cat itself, I'd be skeptical about the mechanic testing the temperature of the cat. Most of the time they plug in their scan tool adn whatever it tells them on the screen they just quote the biggest $$ job.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Well maybe where you live but not around here.
Here they even source parts from wreckers or get you to go pick them up.
No warranty on used parts even under ACL unless offered by the seller so that blows that line out the water and all the mechanic would be liable for is not fitting it correctly and that would apply new or used.
I always tell people find a good mechanic and build a relationship and discuss problems and this sort of thing should never happen and I have known one of mine for over 30 years and the other over 20 and never had an issue fitting second hand parts where I couldn't do it myself.

Most places refuse to fit 2nd hand parts because if they are shite, the customer cracks a wobbly at the shop for charging them for their time fitting those stuffed parts to begin with....Not to mention, they can blame the shop for stuffing them too.

If the shop sources those parts, then it isn't too much of an issue, because they are the ones taking the risk of them being foobarred, therefore wearing the associated costs of them being foobarred

And yes some do fit 2nd hand parts, but general rule is, stuff the headaches associated with fitting 2nd hand supplied parts.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most places refuse to fit 2nd hand parts because if they are shite, the customer cracks a wobbly at the shop for charging them for their time fitting those stuffed parts to begin with....Not to mention, they can blame the shop for stuffing them too.

If the shop sources those parts, then it isn't too much of an issue, because they are the ones taking the risk of them being foobarred, therefore wearing the associated costs of them being foobarred

And yes some do fit 2nd hand parts, but general rule is, stuff the headaches associated with fitting 2nd hand supplied parts.
As I have said in an earlier post you need a good relationship with your mechanic as I have never had the problems you guys have. PERIOD
Although obviously I am not going to ask him to fit a part that is rooted.
But look at it from another angle it would be like a tyre place saying you have to buy new rims as we are not going to use your rims that are on the car as we did not supply them.
Yes a bit far fetched but they fit tyres and deal with idiots on a daily basis so imagine they all started doing it then people would be fitting tyres themselves if they can or buying new rims.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
As I have said in an earlier post you need a good relationship with your mechanic as I have never had the problems you guys have. PERIOD
Or just do what I do and don't use a mechanic, I don't trust ANY mechanics PERIOD :p

Haven't seen one in 15+ years.

Between our fleet of cars I've probably saved $60-100k in labour with everything I've done in the last decade when you include engine builds, exhausts, paint, panel, wiring, timing chains, suspension, brakes, general maintenance etc.

People learning how to work on their own cars is becoming a dying art.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Or just do what I do and don't use a mechanic, I don't trust ANY mechanics PERIOD :p

Between our fleet of cars I've probably saved $60-100k in labour with everything I've done in the last decade when you include engine builds, exhausts, paint, panel, wiring, timing chains, suspension, brakes, general maintenance etc.

I don’t trust mechanics either but some things these days are well outside my scope of operations, like clutch replacements, etc.

Reactions: Lex

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride

I don't know how old you are but it gets harder the closer you get to 70
I still remember lying on my back lifting the entire gearbox, bellhousing and clutch into place by myself in the 1970's
I have saved many thousands of dollars as well and have lots of stories of all the mistakes I have made as well over the years.
But yes working on your own car/bike is a dying art and that is why there is still money to be made doing some side hustles.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Although obviously I am not going to ask him to fit a part that is rooted.
But look at it from another angle it would be like a tyre place saying you have to buy new rims as we are not going to use your rims that are on the car as we did not supply them.
Yes a bit far fetched but they fit tyres and deal with idiots on a daily basis so imagine they all started doing it then people would be fitting tyres themselves if they can or buying new rims.

If a rim has a crack or flogged out holes, we won't fit tyres on them, even if they are on the car, or supplied 2nd hand rims, no matter how well I get along with them....

As for fitting rooted parts....We will go along the theme of this thread.....The mechanic has said the cat is rooted...He fits a 2nd handie and you get along with him and that one turns out to be rooted....Who wears the fitting costs?

I bet if you wore the fitting costs for the rooted 2nd handie, you wouldn't be too happy with your local friend mechanic

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
As for fitting rooted parts....We will go along the theme of this thread.....The mechanic has said the cat is rooted...He fits a 2nd handie and you get along with him and that one turns out to be rooted....Who wears the fitting costs?

I bet if you wore the fitting costs for the rooted 2nd handie, you wouldn't be too happy with your local friend mechanic
Wouldn't happen. End of story because we both know what to look for in a low km second hand unit.
But I know I would wear the full cost of labour because I elected to fit a second hand unit and that is my problem.
Now you might think I am just saying that, but that is because you don't know me or anything about me but I am one of the few who can live with my mistakes and problems.

Now tyre places still fit second hand tyres at least in SA they do, now you would think that would be more of a safety and liability issue even with the tyre place insurance company than fitting a second hand part.

See lots of double standards around and the whole world is filled with double standards you just have to separate the wheat from the chaff