Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speeding Margin to be axed.

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
18.5.1.1.2. indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an
accuracy of ± 10 percent

That reads to me as though the speedo can read over as well. So therefore there really should be a 10% tolerance until the standards are changed.

Found here.

Google search Australian Standards for speedos

.www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/.../ADR1800comp1FINALFRLI.pdf

Last edited:

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
18.5.1.1.2. indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an
accuracy of ± 10 percent

That reads to me as though the speedo can read over as well. So therefore there really should be a 10% tolerance until the standards are changed.

Found here.

Google search Australian Standards for speedos

.http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...w.gov.au/ComLaw/.../ADR1800comp1FINALFRLI.pdf

Your link still doesnt work, current regs, say the speedo must not underead by any margin. Or should the speedo overead by more than 10%, you are perhaps referring to older regs.

Regardless, that doesnt mean we allow a 10% tolerance, does anyone who drives a 75 holden really believe the speedo is 100% accurate.

All the reg does is point out to the 75 holden driver that their correct speed is probably within 10% of what they see on the speedo, and if they are interested in not getting ticketed to travel at 10% less than the limit. As far as I know, its still legal to travel in much older vehicles that never came speedos, however, that doesnt translate to you can go at what ever speed you like because you dont have one.

If dont like the idea of perhaps travelling slower than the limit, they can either find out how accurate their speedo is for themselves or get it professionally determined, most dynometers provide this check. Please no crying about it being an imposition on the poor unwashed etc, so is them crashing into something because they were going 10% too fast.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
I disagree (surprise, surprise).

When there is a leeway given, people will abuse it. When there's absolutely none, they will be far less likely to do so.

I dont see how this addresses the "glued to the speedo" phenomenon you claim will happen, the abusers of the leeway would have had their eyes 'glued to the speedo" so they could travel right on the edge of that leeway.

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
accuracy of ± 10 percent

Your quoting from ADR 13/2. It looks like the clause you have quoted has been repealed and replaced with ADR 18/3 clause 5.3

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I dont see how this addresses the "glued to the speedo" phenomenon you claim will happen, the abusers of the leeway would have had their eyes 'glued to the speedo" so they could travel right on the edge of that leeway.

Because drivers in this country are idiots. They will see 80 on the sign and do 80, regardless of capability or circumstance, this includes being able to judge accurately what 80 kmph is in relation to the traffic around you without having to sit there and stare at the speedo.

In the current environment where speeding is made out to be Satan and the chance of getting caught now increased, people will be sitting there and looking at their speedo's more and more.

This is downright dangerous. Majority of the driving population will be ignoring their surroundings more than they currently do. Going over by 1 or 2 kmph is easy to do, on the flip side its not going to kill anyone. Drive into a tree at 80 and 82. The result will be the same.

This is a pure cash grab.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
I have after market wheels on one of my cars, with GPS in that car. I have noticed the GPS speed readout when I have cruise control set is different, therefore I use the GPS to monitor my speed.

Even then GPS's are not accurate to within 1mm or anything like that, they are judged off of an average dispacement of your 5-15m diameter triangulation moving, its accurate but not to 1kmph. Not to mention that they also base your location laterally as your moving foward on their preset roads with preset distances, hence why when you turn onto a new road it goes down the 'old' one then goes 'hey, hang on a second your not on this road anymore'.

also gets worse as reception gets worse.

Proof of this is when you drive through those driver alert speed readouts, they generally are not exact. or travel at your speedo 100, or w/e an mash the brake/accel there is lag time an this little nudge cld get you over the zero threshold.

But anyway, just figured that its not something to trust blindly, in combination with the 5kmph below you wld b fine ofcourse, but not all of us do that.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Yeah, it smacks of a cash grab. At the same time as the tolerance was being "unofficially" tightened, one extra demerit point was allowed for all drivers and an extra 2 points for professional drivers, so, everyone can pay a fine or two yet continue to drive. Presumably so they can pay more fines.

I do note that Barry O'Farrell has said that he will not alter the tolerance if elected (likely?).

gazzas

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
If you cant glance at a speedo and also be aware of whats happening around you then i hope you get caught and lose your licence.
Roads would be better for those who can manage two simple things at the same time.
cheers

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Thanks for that but I cannot understand the formula they have used. Maths Fail.