Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speeding Margin to be axed.

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Your quoting from ADR 13/2. It looks like the clause you have quoted has been repealed and replaced with ADR 18/3 clause 5.3

Thanks for that. I cannot understand the formula they have used. Maths fail I know.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I dont see how this addresses the "glued to the speedo" phenomenon you claim will happen, the abusers of the leeway would have had their eyes 'glued to the speedo" so they could travel right on the edge of that leeway.

Let's see how simple I can make this.

Some drivers are happy to drive within a small margin OVER the limit, because they know they will be extended that leniency. They check their speedo's occasionally to see that they are within that leeway.

Once you take that leniency away and allow no margin, they feel the need to check the speedo more often because they know that the slightest increase in their speed above the limit, places them at risk of being booked.

OK?

And I should add, this obviously doesn't apply to every driver - it relates more to the incompetent/unsure/timid and elderly drivers. Admittedly, some within that group never drive AT the limit in the first place so it wouldn't trouble them. And I did mention earlier in this thread that,as this is an RTA proposal, and, God willing, our beguiled Labor Government in NSW dies at midnight tonight, it won't get up. The Labor mob would have gladly pounced on it as another source of revenue (hell, the RTA also has a document proposing increasing the number of mobile camera sites in NSW from 114 to over 3,000) but O'Farrell has stated that he doesn't agree with the concept of privately run mobile cameras, and also that he believes speed limits should be raised on certain roads, so I believe the No Leeway proposal won't get up.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Sorry, I dont buy that people need the leeway, its just something that is being currently abused by one group in particular. Nor do I buy any argument that you need to be glued to a speedo to be able to not exceed a speed limit, for reasons Ive already outlined. If you disagree with the reasons I gave fine, comment on them, rather than just trotting out this insult:

Let's see how simple I can make this. .

and perhaps respond to:
As I mentioned earlier, many people(or most according to some) push the current tolerances now(the defacto speed limit), 5 or 3km/h depending on state , they would be no more "glued to the speedo" keeping to that tolerance than they would be this one.

the point being that it really doesnt take being "glued to the speedo" to drive at the edge of a tolerance and that Ive yet to see claims form anyone that people who drive at the edge of the current tolerances appear to be driving blind folded.

Some drivers are happy to drive within a small margin OVER the limit, because they know they will be extended that leniency.

That's one reason its being introduced, because some are completely happy in breaking the law, yes this law will change that sort of behaviour.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Sorry, I dont buy that people need the leeway, its just something that is being currently abused by one group in particular.

Gee which group would that be? The hoons that have to go that 2 kmph faster? Oh those dangerous criminals.

Stop watching ACA.

Every single driver occasionally goes over the speed limit. 2 kmph is not going to make a lick of difference. Its plain and simply revenue raising. Thats it. Try and defend it all you like, I hope you get rear ended better yet run over by a moron looking at their speedo because they dont want to lose 1 point and 150 odd dollars for going 61 in a 60 zone.

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
I dont buy that people need the leeway

That's one reason its being introduced, because some are completely happy in breaking the law, yes this law will change that sort of behaviour.[/QUOTE]

So everyone has to suffer because of a group of drivers who will use the tolerance as a de facto speed limit.I agree these people will always be there as are those who just drive at ridiculous speeds with no regard to who they may kill and injure. My concern is for those who genuinely try to do the right thing but drift over the limit for what ever reason. ie down hill, top of hill ect. We have all done it and anyone who says they haven't is a liar.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
So everyone has to suffer because of a group of drivers who will use the tolerance as a de facto speed limit.I agree these people will always be there as are those who just drive at ridiculous speeds with no regard to who they may kill and injure. My concern is for those who genuinely try to do the right thing but drift over the limit for what ever reason. ie down hill, top of hill ect. We have all done it and anyone who says they haven't is a liar.

Not just that, but also those people (which I would say would a vast majority) who have a vehicle where the speedo is out by as little as 1km...

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
It doesn't matter if those people use it as a default speed limit. If they get caught they will be out of the leeway and pay a fine. This just punishes people who stick to the speed limit and who are regular people who accidentally go over the limit by 1 or 2 kmph.

So again, they aren't punishing the people who are actually committing crimes, they are LOOKING for MONEY.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you disagree with the reasons I gave fine, comment on them, rather than just trotting out this insult:/QUOTE]

Aw, pull your head in. I've already stated my views and I'm stuffed if I'm going to become involved in an endless and pointless "debate" with a person who obviously thrives on argument.

If that statement was an insult, you are altogether too bloody precious.

You've pontificated about traffic regulations for years as though you're an expert. We all know you're perfect and never speed or break any other traffic laws - we don't need reminding.

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
the point being that it really doesnt take being "glued to the speedo" to drive at the edge of a tolerance and that Ive yet to see claims form anyone that people who drive at the edge of the current tolerances appear to be driving blind folded.

That's one reason its being introduced, because some are completely happy in breaking the law, yes this law will change that sort of behaviour.

for some of us this tolerance is good. we have no cruise control, speed limiter, speed alert, anything other then a speedo and the right pedal, known as an accelerator.
on some bumpy roads with country pack suspension 1 bump can knock your foot down putting you over the limit advised.
would you be happy to be told, you have no licence because of a terrible road and a very basic car?

as as usual the majority have to bow down to the minority

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
Where I live HWP is almost always on the freeways. hardly ever in town. i drive how i want and havent had an issue.