Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speeding Margin to be axed.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
I have only ever used cruise control on the freeway or highways

i recomend you use it on local roads... safer then looking back and forth to make sure you dont go 1kph over and looking and your gps...

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
check out this link from a safe driver training site (independant from government)
STOPPING DISTANCE (Safe Drive Training)
note the braking distance differences between 90kph and 120kph in the chart. The average car takes 30-40 metres further to pull up when comparing 90kph to 120kph!
Even a Ferrari takes nearly 25m extra to pull up at 120kph compared to 90kph

its common sense lol the faster something is going the harder it is to stop...

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
i recomend you use it on local roads... safer then looking back and forth to make sure you dont go 1kph over and looking and your gps...

Just to put your mind at rest, the GPS is in a car that I use only for cruising purposes. My daily driver has no GPS.

Besides, using cruise control in traffic is pretty pointless given you are constantly starting and stopping.

On a final note having been a driver for about 30 years now, I really don't need to constantly check my speed around the traffic. I haven't had a speeding fine for years so must be doing something right.

Again, all you need to do is set your speed alert to 5ks below the posted limit and you will be fine.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Its pretty common sense that if you are staring at your speedo you are not looking at the road. Especially when we have so many bad drivers on our roads, awareness for everything around us should be the most important thing. Not worrying about going 2kmph over. If anyone thinks 2/3 kmph is going to make any difference should go and apply for a job at ACA.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Set your speed alert to 5ks below the speed limit. When my oldest son first got his licence he spent the first two years constantly changing his speed alert as he drove through various speed zones to ensure he never got busted for speeding and lost his licence. It worked for him, so why not the rest of us?

i done the exact same thing through my red P's not so much a worry now but yeah... if your all that worried about getting caught basically. dont speed

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega

dunno how great your cruise control is but mine constantly puts me over the speed limit. i agree with sashyre again cruise control i only use on freeways and highways

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I found the same thing with my SS.
Using braking markers, it will pull up within 2mtrs of the same spot from 100 or 120kmh. Not the 5mtrs (?) for every 5km that the RTA would have you believe.

not being a smartass but i understand what u and minux are saying but you would gain extra meters from the extra distance traveled/reaction time. if you know when you have to stop it would be close enough to the same.. but if a kid jumped on the road (stupid thing to do with cars going 120k but..) the distance you would travel would be further.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Indeed. Overall I don't think anybody has an objection to speeding fines when imposed fairly. My biggest beef is the stupidly low speed limits that are on most of the roads these days. Take the Monash Freeway for example. Govco spent god knows how many millions to upgrade the road and it's now very smooth and safe however what was a 100km/h zone (pre upgrade) is now 80 for ages.

There is a road around the corner from me that was a 90 km/h zone as a dirt road but then they sealed it with bitumen and improved the safety no end yet lowered it to 80 as well :hmmm:.

Overall *most* freeways should be increased to 120 or 130 km/h in complete safety yet we chug along at 100 with an increased risk of crashing due to boredom. I'm not advocating that speed limit across the board but there are plenty of places where it should apply.

Interestingly from the article there main driver seems to be cabinet's budget committee which does indicate revenue seems to be the main motivator. The policeman quoted clearly would not have been presenting the official Police Force response however it was hardly a glowing endorsement of the plan.

And whos to say that the GPS is correct?

Nobody however in my experience with my trusty TomTom was very good. Most reputable brands should be very close to the mark.

Don't Australian Standards allow up to a 10% error in speedo readings?? One word. REVENUE.

As of approx 2005 speedo's are not permitted to read any slower than the car is actually travelling. All of my 3 VE's were travelling at 96km/h when the speedo read 100. Interestingly my VYII speedo was km perfect at any speed.

Reaper