Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ss clutch

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey all,

My clutch engages at the very top so it's probably not far off going. Ill wait til its slipping before i change it though. Went into Holden today to get a price for the parts. I'll most likely do it myself.

They quoted me $1478nzd for the clutch assembly (including new fly wheel) and $474nzd for the release bearing. Both ex Australia.

Is it worth changing the flywheel or should I just skim it?

What are your recommendations? Is it a fairly straight forward job (normal rwd clutch)? Aftermarket or genuine part?

Cheers Taylor

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
you would be better of just getting a single plate heavy clutch. something on the lines of NPC or the Tex X
they sholud be around the 1200 mark from memory.

but if you plan to do some work down the track, i would think twice about what sort of clutch you put in it now.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Good point. I'm putting headers and full exhaust on it. Could be tempted by a lumpy cam and tune too. I won't be going forced induction due to insurance.

From what it seems it's the same clutch as the r8s etc, they're making quite a bit more torque than I am currently.

I'm in nz though. Wonder if theyre available here or what shipping would cost me.

Kingston_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
im not realy sure.
if you are just going to have a exhuast and cam, the standard clutch will hold out. but if it were me, i'd stick a heavyer clutch in. single plate will do the job fine and still have the stock pedal feel.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah I see what you mean. Stock or heavy duty were the two options I was thinking. pedal feel was one things slightly steering me towards genuine. But if single plate should get me a similar feel that's more appealing

Would you replace the flywheel or just skim it?

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Gm ones are so cheap in the states. Such a pity shipping would rape me.

Is there any reason to replace the flywheel as opposed to skimming it?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
We usually just machine the flywheel at work. If its the first clutch that you are putting in your car then theres no need to get a new one. Just skimming it will be fine.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
No 100% sure whether it is. I wouldn't think it's done 2 clutches in 150k though ...

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Yeah but even if it is the second clutch you should still be right. But I can't see your VS SS needing a second clutch already, i'd say it would still be the original one that it came out of the factory with. We have never had a customer come back because there was a problem with a clutch job. Sometimes we just roughen the flywheel with sand paper and it works fine, but depends how much the customer wasnts to spend. Just get yours skimmed, I can't see you having any problems at all by doing that.

Kingston_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
standard flywheels are pretty thin...
when you buy an aftermarket clutch, it comes with a flywheel.
i'd get an heavy duty clutch kit bro!
dont waste time on a standard crap...