Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS Sudden Rough Idle & Stuttering Under Load After Service. Need Help Please!

jaffassv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hi Everyone,

My Ve SSV has been running perfectly up until I got a service last week.
The only engine mods it has are extractors, high flow cats and dual 3 inch exhaust.
As a result it had the engine light come on but has continued to run fine for 8 months now.
It was due for a service and they noticed the engine light, I told them it was from exhaust system.
Anyways after the service when I picked car up they had cleared the light and during the short drive home everything was good.
I then haven't driven it until all weekend until today. Everything was fine until 20 mins into my highway trip it started stuttering under load
regardless of gear. The engine light came back on now and when I came to a stop it then ran rough at idle.
Car is going back to dealer to check it out.
It is also on the same tank of petrol as before and after the service.
Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

My car is 2007 SSV, Manual, Runs on Premium, 31,000kms.

Thanks for any help!

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
Did u put ur exhaust on? Or a shop? Should of had it tuned when u put the exhaust on.. As for the rough idle It sounds like they've forgot to put the exhaust sensor back in..

jaffassv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Did u put ur exhaust on? Or a shop? Should of had it tuned when u put the exhaust on.. As for the rough idle It sounds like they've forgot to put the exhaust sensor back in..

Shop put exhaust on at start of year and has had 8 months of worry free motoring with it on. Dunno why exhaust would have been touched it was just a usual service and as for the engine light they said they just hook it up
to the tech 2 and clear the code.

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
Fair enough I had something similar happen and it was the exh sensor, did the shop dyno tune the car after they'd put the exh on?

aedeau

Reaction score
Members Ride
My 10 VE SS ute AFM
Slightly off topic, but it sounds like you didn't get a tune after installing the exhaust - did you notice much of a difference in performance without the tune? I ask because I'm thinking about getting high flow cats with stock headers and slightly modified stock catback.

jaffassv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Fair enough I had something similar happen and it was the exh sensor, did the shop dyno tune the car after they'd put the exh on?

Nah just ordered in everything and installed it for me that was all. Was waiting until I got an OTR before getting a proper tune done.

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
Yeah that's probably it then, it would have run ok till Holden mucked around to get the engine light off.. Gonna need a proper tune done mate..

jaffassv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Slightly off topic, but it sounds like you didn't get a tune after installing the exhaust - did you notice much of a difference in performance without the tune? I ask because I'm thinking about getting high flow cats with stock headers and slightly modified stock catback.

Yeah a bit little bit more go and alot more sound. Also better fuel economy. But yeah to take full advantage I'd need to get tune.
Would likely be hard to tell the difference with just high flow cats and a modified stock cat back though.
Are you trying to keep it fairly quiet?

aedeau

Reaction score
Members Ride
My 10 VE SS ute AFM
Are you trying to keep it fairly quiet?

Nah... lol :) - I heard the cats are the biggest restriction in the stock setup. Hoping to be selective with my $$ and mods

Last edited by a moderator:

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
Same thing happened to mine it was just a plug lead make sure all your leads are siting on the plug and coil properly.
Holden told me it was from when I had my headers fitted that they never put one if the leads back on and it
Burnt the lead out but I still got it covered by warranty which was good.