Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Manual Gearbox woes

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
As above, an aftermarket shifter will only improve the action... Not solve any issues. There is a billet shifter around that is meant to provide better stops (rather than just stronger springs - as it isn't a 'rip-shifter) and something like a 30% shorter throw which is excellenet. But again won't resolve any issues with the gearbox. Does move the stick a little closer to the driver though.

To be honest I think the positive-stops "feature" of the Billet Shifter is a bit of a gimmick. The T56 has internal stops which work just fine, if you examine the factory shifter it has no stops whatsoever, yet you never hear of people "overshifting" the stock shifter. Sure, they don't do any harm, but are totally unnecessary (and I say this having owned a Billet Shifter for some time, they are an otherwise good product).

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SportWagon, VZ Crewman Cross 8
Just picked up my VE SSV Special EditionBlack Manual Sportwagon during the week, nice !!!

Just wanted to know if anyone is aware if Holden implented a permanant fix off the assembly line to this Clutch issue after a certain date, mine is a MY10 Feb. Wanna be prepared to should it start happening.

As above I also find 2nd and 3rd to be extremely hard sometimes I find if a 1 and half clutch or double clutch it slides straight in, or should I not worry and wait till it gets some Km's under its belt and loosens up.

Cheers

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Firstly, congrats on the purchase. Black sportswagons are spectacular!

I had my clutch and gearbox replaced a couple of weeks ago under warranty and it's quite a dramatic change. The old one had worn bearings but even so, I never has the second to third problem you described. Or third to second for that matter. The main issue I had was wit first gear... Plus a rather loud whining noise. The new one has a much lighter action. Still not smooth... But miles better than it was... And you'll never find a smooth T56. The TR6060 (I think that's what is in the HSVs) is essentially the newer model and by all reports is a big improvement.

Let it run in a bit and see if it improves but it doesn't sound right that it should be as rough as you describe. Plenty of people granny-shift their cars with no issues.

ENVY 1T

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ssv manual
what model ssv is it? i've got an 09 model, mine came with the better tr6060 gearbox. the earlier ssv's came with the truck t56 box. which have always been clunky.